Nutella Cream Cheese Turnovers
Are these dessert or breakfast? I can’t really tell. Turnover implies breakfast, but being slathered in Nutella and puff pastry totally screams dessert. Breakfast, desserts, breakfast, dessert. Thinking is hard. Really I just prefer opening wide and shoving one of these mini nutella cream cheese turnovers into my face hole.
And nope, they’re not fried. So by that very definition that means they’re healthy, right? Healthier? Healthier than what I don’t know, but just roll with it. Get real people! Come to the dark Nutella-y side, you won’t be sorry.
All this chocolate sin and carbing it up is all for a great celebration – that of our friend Jeanne’s, or as you may know her Nana Bread’s, 50th birthday. *blinks* 50, Jeanne? Really? I really gotta ask what the hell is your secret woman? Have you been watching the Cindy Crawford anti aging infomercials again? Geez, maybe I need to get in on that.
To help you celebrate this fantastic milestone, I wanted to share these Nutella turnovers with you – because well they’re mini pies for the hand pie master, they’re fill of my chocolate spirit animal- Nutella, and they’re carbs. Everything a birthday girl, or really anyone else, needs. It should be a law.
We’re so thrilled to have you in our lives, our little internet troupe of rebel rousing yahoos. It wouldn’t be the same without you. And for any of you guys out there reading – please, jump on over to say Hi to Jeanne today. If you haven’t met her, you must. She can craft a felt mouse like nobody’s business, her husband is an ice cream making savant – man has mastered the DIY Sweet Cream ice cream for Ben and Jerry’s, and her sense of humor and zest for life is positively infectious. Infectious in a good way, not the eww-what’s-that-on-your-skin kinda way.
She’s your new kindred spirit.
To keep the party going these other drool worthy creations from these fine ladies
Kirsten’s Orange Cream Pie,
Allison’s Coca Cola Cake,
Beka’s Aged Manhattan,
Madelyn’s Cheesey Chorizo Dip,
Monica’s Tropical Ice Cream,
Madeline’sFig, Fontina and Pecan Flatbread,
and Carrie’s Coconut Banana Brownie Pie.
Happy birthday Jeanne, we love you and wish you the happiest of birthdays and here’s to another 50, fabulous and flirty years to come.
Breakfast or dessert – you decide! These mini pies are filled with a decadent Nutella cream cheese filling, sure to satisfy you at any time of day.
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry, thawed
- ¼ cup Cream Cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup Nutella, divided
- 2 Tbsp Flour, for dipping fork to crimp turnover edges
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 2 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On silicone baking mat, or floured surface, roll out puff pastry into a 12×12 inch square. Cut into 9 equal square shapes.
- In bowl, whisk together cream cheese and ½ cup of Nutella until smooth and evenly mixed.
- Drop 1 Tbsp of cream cheese/Nutella mixture into the corner of puff pastry. Leave a small edge on the puff pastry so when you fold the squares over the edges can be crimped together.
- Fold opposite side of the square over the Nutella/cream cheese mixture. Using a fork dipped in flour press the edges of the turnovers with the tines of the fork to seal the edges together.
- Place the turnovers onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking sheet. In small dish, whisk together egg and water to make an egg wash. Brush each turnover with the egg wash.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and drizzle with additional warmed Nutella. Serve warm.