Best Homemade Rocky Road Brownies
Oooey gooey rocky road brownies topped with melted marshmallows, pecans, and extra chocolate make these simply sinful!
Most people fall into one of two camps when it comes to brownies. Most people are either firmly Team Edges or Team Middle. For myself, I’m an equal opportunity brownie lover and will take whatever bites I can get. And with these rocky road brownies, there is no bad piece to be had. The marshmallows get toasted and melted all at once, the chocolate chunks give it that extra Mmmm, and the pecans get perfectly toasted for a deep nutty flavor.
Dare I say the words “best brownie” when talking about these rocky road brownies? Yes, I DARE!! Because I made these twice in one week. I couldn’t keep my paws off of them!
This brownie recipe is from the tried and true baking book 100 Cookies by Sarah Kieffer. I’ve made recipes from her again and again, and they are perfection every time.
Ingredients for Rocky Road Homemade Brownies
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Chocolate Chips
- Mini Marshmallows
- Brown Sugar
- Canola or Vegetable Oil
- Vanilla Extract
- More Chocolate – Bittersweet or dark chocolate is great
- Unsalted Butter – Unsalted is best here to ensure you don’t have too much in your brownie recipe
- Dutch-process Cocoa Powder
How to Make Homemade Brownies
Preheat your oven – 350 is right where you want your oven set.
In a large bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine your chocolate chips and butter. Heat in the microwave starting at 30 second intervals until the chocolate and butter melt and create a ganache. Set it aside to cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugars, vanilla, and oil until well combined.
Slowly stir in the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and combine.
To create the batter, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Add in half of the marshmallows, chocolate chunks, and pecans. Gently fold until just combined, do not over mix.
Pour the batter into a prepared baking pan. You can use my how-to prepare a baking pan blog post to learn my favorite ways! This works for cake pans and any other baking pan you may use.
Spread the batter evenly through the pan. Sprinkle the rest of the marshmallows, chocolate chunks, and pecans on top.
Bake until a toothpick comes out with just a couple of crumbs on it to get the perfect brownie texture. Allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
Frequently Asked Questions about Baking Brownies
What pan should I use to bake brownies?
Using a metal pan will get the best results. A porcelain baking dish may extend your baking time and lead to over baked brownies.
How to I prepare a baking pan?
For this fudgy brownie recipe, it’s easiest to spray your metal non-stick baking pan with additional non-stick spray, and then line it with parchment paper.
What is the best chocolate brownie recipe?
Well, these rocky road brownies, or my triple chocolate nutella skillet brownie. Tied. Equally. Because you can never pick one! ha!
Can brownies be left out overnight?
Yes! Cover the pan or plate with plastic wrap or foil to keep the air from drying them out.
Try these other amazing brownie recipes!
Fudgy Zucchini Brownies with Whipped Chocolate Frosting
Dutch Chocolate Walnut Frosted Brownies
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies with Pretzel CrustPrint
Best Homemade Rocky Road Brownies
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 18 Brownies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Pecans, cut into pieces
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 4 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Canola (or Vegetable) Oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 8 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (8 Tbsp) Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- Place oven rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees. Grease a METAL 9×13 inch pan, and line with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whist together the flour ,salt and baking powder.
- In another small microwave-safe bowl, mix together the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and pecans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, and both sugars, oil, and vanilla.
- Place the chopped bittersweet chocolate and butter into a bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until the chocolate and butter melt together to create a ganache. Into the melted ganache, stir in the cocoa powder.
- Stir the chocolate mixture slowly into the egg and sugar mixture, stirring to combine completely.
- Pour the dry flour mixture into the chocolate mixture, stirring until just a couple streaks of flour remain. Stir in half of the chocolate chips, marshmallows and pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Top with other half of chocolate chips, marshmallows, and pecans on top.
- Bake for 25-29 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with just a couple of crumbs on it. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Use the parchment sling to lift the brownies out of the pan to slice and serve.
Mildly adapted from Sara Keiffer’s Rocky Road Brownies from 100 Cookies Cookbook
Keywords: Brownies, Chocolate, Rocky Road, Baking, Marshmallows
Hi there..its actually the best brownies I’ve tried.. i really like it because it had dark chocolate on it.. is it possible to lessen the sugar on this recipe?
You can, but I wouldn’t reduce it significantly because then it will mess with the texture of the brownies. Try reducing a 1/4 cup to start and see how they hold up. 🙂