Strawberry Basil Sorbet Bellini
A simple cocktail, perfect for summer – this Strawberry Basil Sorbet Bellini is a twist on a classic peach belini with champagne poured over homemade strawberry basil sorbet.
You get bubbles! You get bubbles! EVERYBODY gets BUBBLES!! Just call me the Oprah of Bubbles, I don’t mind, because it’s summer and all of you need a respite from this heat and dang it I have a respite for you!! It might be the three glasses of this in me while I type – but I’m pretty sure bubbles are the new black. And red. And green. This beaut has summer strawberry and basil sorbet playing the role of fruit puree in the traditional bellini.
Strawberry +Basil = Sorbet + Bubbles = Sorbellini
Or would that be Sorbetellini?
That rogue “t” trips me up every time I type it. And the same thing goes for Sherbet! How many of you pronounce your sherbet with an “R”? I never even realized that sherbet didn’t have an “r” in it until one of my midwest blogging buddy told me about it! Naturally I had to investigate the next time I went down the ice cream aisle – and there is no R in sherbet!! I feel like my whole ice cream filled life has been a lie. I just chose to ignore the missing “r” much like I chose to ignore that Matthew Crawley is dead. (He can’t be dead! It’s a cruel joke! Damn you, Downton!!) What is this all about? Rachel said that we all say it right, but it’s the ice cream people who have been misprinting their labels for years. I happen to agree.
So is it Sor-bayyy or Sor-Bet? Rogue letter everywhere…
But we Washingtonians are rather apt at putting rogue r’s into places they don’t belong. Anyone ever hear their grandparents drop an “r” into “wash”… You going to go warsh that darn car? It makes me cringe! And as G-ma would say, we’re “Warshingtonians”.
Okay, I could go far too down that rogue letter path and never recover – so let’s move on.
If you are tardy to the party – it’s BERRY WEEK! The usual suspects and I are teaming up to celebrate summer in every berry filled way we could imagine. And trust me, there are some doozies of recipes in this line up. These women are inspired, each and every one of them.
Now go get cho’ berry awwnnn!! It’s awwn. Like donkeh Kawwng!!
Get the rest of the Berry Week Lineup from these fabulous ladies!
Thursday: Country Cleaver-Berry Sorbet Bellini:: ME! / The Girly Girl Cooks-Strawberry-Rhubarb Stuffed French Toast / The Grommom-A Lightened-Up Berry CrispPrint
A simple cocktail, perfect for summer – this Strawberry Basil Sorbet Bellini is a twist on a classic Peach Bellini with champagne poured over homemade strawberry basil sorbet.
- 6 cups Fresh Strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 10 leaves Basil, minced
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Bottle Sparkling Wine or Champagne, chilled
- In a large food processor, add in strawberries and pulse until smooth. Over a large bowl, pour the strawberry puree into a fine mesh strainer.
- With a rubber scraper, push the strawberry puree through the strainer to remove most of the seeds and fiber from the berries. Stir in the minced basil leaves. Discard the pith and seeds in the strainer. Set puree aside.
- In a small sauce pan, stir the water and sugar together until the sugar dissolves. Over medium high heat, bring the sugar syrup to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir the syrup into the strawberry basil puree. Place into the fridge for 1-2 hours to chill the mixture.
- Prepare the sorbet using an ice cream maker according to the ice cream maker’s instructions. Use immediately or place in a freezer safe container.
- To prepare bellinis, dollop 1 heaping spoonful of frozen sorbet into a champagne glass and pour chilled champagne over the top. Sip immediately.
Megan Keno – Country Cleaver