Lemon Asparagus Wanna Be Fries
This might be one of the simplest, quickest and healthiest snacks I’ve ever made. Which is saying something. It’s me, the carb-oholic Czech girl with a penchant for all things Nutella, sweet and delicious. So a veggie broken down into a savory snack in minutes totally has my attention and keeps me on track with my Weight Watchers plan. And I need help on that every where I can find it. (6 months and 12 days until my wedding – Whew!)
With a bunch of asparagus in hand, a little lemon infused olive oil and Kikkoman Kara-age Ginger mix I went to work. And in 10 minutes – *BAM*, it was done and I was nomming away and on my way to healthy curves.
With a bunch of asparagus, washed and ends snapped off, they were laid out onto a non-stick baking pan (or Silpat if you have one) and drizzled with 1 − 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil.
Then into a gallon zip lock bag when the slathered and coated beauties where 1/2 cup of Kikkoman Kara-age was dredged over the top. After about 20 seconds of shaking it like a Polaroid picture, the spears were laid out again onto the pan and set into an oven set to 425 for 7 minutes or until the spears and coating begin to crisp. Take out, sprinkle with a little pepper, lemon zest or sea salt and promptly devour.
But if oven-frying isn’t your thing, feel the freedom (yup, you’re allowed) to fry these babies in a pan of 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over high heat until they turn golden brown. Of course frying them in a pan is going to crisp them quicker and more efficiently, but then the health factor becomes somewhat negated. I only said, somewhat!! At least it’s still veggies with minimal breading. You got that going for you.
Now go forth and gather your vegge. Jamie Oliver would be proud…I hope.Print
Asparagus is transformed into a healthy, savory snack in a matter of minutes in this diet-friendly recipe.
- 20 spears of asparagus
- 1 1/2 tsp. Lemon infused Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup. Kikkoman Ginger Soy Kara-Age Mix
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Lemon Zest
To pan fry:
- Use above ingredients, adding additional 2 Tbsp. of oil to non-stick skillet on high heat
To Oven Bake:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash asparagus and snap off bottom ends. Lay out on non-stick baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Into gallon zip lock bag, pour in kara-age mix. Place in asparagus and dredge in mixture until all spears of asparagus are coated.
- Lay out on baking pan and bake in hot oven until coating begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Asparagus should be fork tender.
- Preheat 2 Tbsp olive oil in non-stick skillet on high heat. Prepare asparagus as described above.
- When oil is hot, drop in each spear and allow to fry until golden brown – about 60 seconds each side.
- Allow to drain on paper towels. Season with sea salt and/or lemon zest. Devour while warm.
*The Kikkoman Soy-Ginger Kara-age was provided to me by the FoodBuzz Tastemaker’s program. Recipe is my own and so are the opinions above.*