Every time I go south to Portland I’m blown away by yet another restaurant, hole in the wall, food truck, doughnut shop, or some other various purveyor of food. Last time I was down, celebrating a friends impending wedding we were treated with a survivor’s breakfast of waffles.
But these were no ordinary waffles.
We went to The Waffle Window, literally a window stand of waffles of all kinds. Sweets, savories, heavenly mixes of kinds in between. Divinity in waffled nooks and crannies.
That day, my day of waffl-ightenment – I tried the BBB Waffle, otherwise known as the Bacon, Brie and Basil Waffle.
*pause for gasp and dramatic effect*
Yeah. There was no need for syrup, just a healthy dollop of peach preserves nestled below the three B’s that added a sweet tingle to the savory fair on top.
Ever since then this combo has stuck in my mind like an obnoxious, but fabulous song you can’t get out of your head. Red Solo Cup anyone? #earworm
Unlike the Waffle Window, I was unable to replicate the sugary crunch on the outside of their waffles, and opted instead of peach preserves to use my own Blackberry Grand Marnier jam. It was not an unfortunate substitute.
On top went 3 leaves of basil chiffonadededed on top, thin slices of brie and of course bacon, which just makes live better.
Go make this. It’s just the ticket for the sweet and savory lover in you. Or the PMSing girl in you.
Now, I’m off to BlogHer! See you on the flip side! And a big Thank you to Star Fine Foods for giving me the opportunity to meet new friends and hone my blogging skillz. Yes, that warranted a “z”.Print
The sweet and savory combination of Bacon, Brie, and Basil atop Homemade Waffles will satisfy all your breakfast cravings!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 pound Bacon, cooked
- 1/2 pound Brie Cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Basil Leaves, chiffonade
- 1/2 cup Blackberry Grand Marnier Jam, or preserves of your choice
- Powdered Sugar (optional)
- In large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the waffles until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Preheat waffle iron to medium high.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray and pour about 1/3 cup of batter into the iron. Close and cook until golden brown – about 3 minutes. Set aside and continue cooking until all batter is used.
- In the mean time, cook up bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Slice brie cheese and thinly slice basil into ribbons. Set aside.
- Plate two waffles per person, slather waffles with blackberry or peach jam.
- Top with slices of bacon, brie and basil.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Promptly devour.
Keywords: homemade waffles, waffle toppings, savory waffle