Pasta with Asparagus and Poached Egg
I think I could survive on poached eggs alone. No, there is no “think” about it…I could. I could survive on poached eggs alone.
And cheese. Of course chocolate fits in there somewhere but for this dish we’ll leave it out.
The whole point is – today I am sharing the recipe pictured above over at Table for Two! Ms. Julie has been diligently unpacking her new digs, finding places to store all of her blogging loot and breaking into her new kitchen in her fancy new home! If cooking up a storm isn’t the perfect way to celebrate buying your first house, I don’t know what is!
So when homegirl asked me to write up a recipe to share I couldn’t help but jump at the chance.
Julie and I got to know each other very quickly these last few months, tweeting, IG-ing, e-mailing and swooning over one another’s recipes every chance we got. And in that time she has become a constant source of not only hilarity, but of inspiration. We’ve teamed up the last few weeks with the PW Wednesday’s that everyone loves so much, and her latest choice of recipe for us all to make will blow you away. It involves carbs and cream. I can’t contain myself! You will not be disappointed. But your pants might be. It’s a fat-pants kind of recipe.
But what PW recipe isn’t?
Girl knows how to pick some pretty tasty treats!
I’m so pleased to share this recipe with you today and hope you will whip it up soon. It’ll satisfy your need for saucy pasta without guilt and regret. Or tighter pants. See you over at Table for Two!! <— Click the link to make the jump!Print
A simple weeknight meal that is decadent. It’ll satisfy your need for saucy pasta without guilt and regret!
- 1/2 pound whole wheat thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup low-fat ricotta
- 4 eggs, for poaching
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned, cooked, and chopped (optional)
- 1 lemon, halved
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In pot, boil water and cook pasta 1 minute below recommended time. Add in chopped asparagus and cook with pasta for one additional minute. Scoop out ½ cup of the pasta water and set aside.
- Drain pasta and asparagus. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside and keep warm.
- In pot, heat remaining olive oil and add pasta water. Stir in ricotta, Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste.
- When cheese has melted and incorporated, toss sauce and pasta. Plate in shallow bowls.
- To poach eggs: In a large sauté pan, fill with water so the depth of the water is about 2”. Add in vinegar and bring to a rapid simmer.
- Crack eggs, one at a time, and put into a small bowl. VERY gently slip each egg into the water and using a spoon gingerly corral the egg whites so they don’t get away.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the whites are totally set. Remove gently from water with large slotted spoon and allow excess water to drip away.
- Place on top of pasta. Add cooked and chopped shrimp if desired.
- Spritz egg and pasta with lemon juice and additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Promptly devour.