Smoked Salmon Potato Salad
Give this simple Pacific Northwest infused Smoked Salmon Potato Salad filled with garlic, dill and PNW smoked salmon for your next get together.
I know I am going to catch a lot of flack for what I’m going to say, so I’m preparing myself to duck and cover, run, hunker down and dodge whatever you’re gonna be throwing at me. – I’m so excited for FALL!!!
Oh good – whew, nothing came at me. Sorry if you just ruined your computer screen throwing coffee at it. But today as I was walking Huck in the morning it was a crisp, chilly and refreshing 57 degrees out – and I loved it. I’m a terrible person, but it’s true – loved it. It means Pumpkin Everything Season is on it’s way, Halloween (my birthday) is soon to be here and so is football season! See, now are you excited for fall time too? I thought so.
But don’t get me wrong – I”m still enjoying the heck out of what’s left for summer. Ben and I went back to his hometown last weekend to celebrate our one year anniversary and enjoy the great Palouse and outdoors. It was beautiful. And there was lots of BBQ-ing to be had. The best part of BBQ for me, is the side dishes – namely potato salad. This time I wanted to put a distinctly Pacific Northwest Twist on it by adding in some smoked salmon, dill and lemon. Simple is good when you’re working with salmon and simple is good when it comes to potato salad!
Buying the dill for this adventure was a bit hilarious because my store only had a 5 foot tall stalk of dill. Nothing dried, nothing smaller – a bundle of dill that was as tall as I was. For ONE recipe. Really? Yeah. Well Dill-on the Dill Plant came home with me for this recipe, and got in my way as he stood tall in my kitchen with his Bieber-esque dill fringe in his face. So he got a nice haircut and he contributed nicely to this smoked salmon potato salad.
It was nice to talk to a friend – even if he was a plant – while I was cooking. He’s such a good helper. And he tastes amazing.
So as you enjoy the winding down of summer – don’t forget to bring this to your next BBQ and enjoy the fresh tastes of what’s left of summer.
Give this simple Pacific Northwest infused Smoked Salmon Potato Salad filled with garlic, dill and PNW smoked salmon a try for your next get together.
- 2 pounds Tri Color Baby Potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 Tbsp Dill, minced + garnish
- 4 gloves Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- ¼ tsp Ground Pepper
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Tuscan Seasoning Blend
- 2/3 cup Mexican Sour Cream
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil based Mayonnaise
- 4 ounces Smoked Salmon filet, flaked – Not lox
- In a large saucepan, bring cut potatoes covered in salted water to a simmer. Bring the water to a fast simmer, not a rolling boil – that will destroy the potatoes and cause them to fall apart.
- Simmer until they are fork tender – about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Spread out on a rimmed cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl combine minced dill, garlic, lemon zest, salt, ground pepper, red pepper flakes, and Tuscan seasoning. Sprinkle over the potatoes and toss to combine.
- Place coated potatoes in the fridge to chill. This will help the potatoes absorb the flavors. Chill for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream and mayonnaise and lemon juice. Pour potatoes into the mixture, and scrape any remaining seasoning from the cookie sheet into the potatoes and cream.
- Add in flaked smoked salmon. Fold gently to combine. Season additionally if desired.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve – best chilled for at least three hours. Serve with extra dill for garnish.