Salted Caramel Chocolate Doughnuts
Right now I’m so distracted by the Vampire Diaries that it’s hard to actually focus on the writing of this post. And this is a post that warrants my undivided and complete attention – for multiple reasons.
The first of which is below.
The second of which is because last weekend was a whirlwind of food, world famous mac and cheese, cinnamon rolls so sinful it would make the Pope blush (Thank you Lauren!) , and baking with one of my favorite bloggers and true friends. You may know her as Table for Two, I just call her Rockstar. Cause well she is, natch.
And cheese. Things that were fried, too. Just for good measure.
Adorable, small, dimply children that made my right ovary kick me a couple of times made their appearance.
And here, too.
Dang it, Child! Stop being so dang precious. And if you’re wondering, her reaction to the pizza summed up what all of us were thinking as we shoved slice after slice of Ken’s Artisan Pizza into our pie holes.
Those guys know how to spin a pie. So if you’re in Portland, please just do yourself a favor and stop in and devour it. Viciously.
Julie and I ate our way through two towns, recovered from said sugar coma and then…
started all over again Sunday morning just before she had to leave me and fly back to the great land of DC. All weekend our thoughts revolved around the the idea of making the perfect chocolate doughnut, dripping with sultry salted caramel. And sprinkled with sea salt thats sparkle rivals that of a dang Cullen.
And all we wanted was the sparkly salted caramel chocolate Cullen doughnuts in our faces. Thank goodness for yoga pants and people who just Get You.
That’s how we roll.Print
Baked Chocolate doughnuts with Salted Caramel icing.
- 2 cups Cake Flour
- ⅔ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- ¾+2Tbsp Milk
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 2 cup Brown Sugar
- ½ + 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 3 Tbsp Course Sea Salt for Topping
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Beat in greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla, milk and melted butter until fully incorporated.
- Spray doughnut pan with non-stick spray, filling each cavity with ¼-1/3 cup doughnut batter.
- Bake in oven for 9 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a sauce pan, combine all ingredients except course sea salt. Heat over medium-high heat whisking ingredients together until mixture melts and becomes smooth. Remove from heat.
- Gently invert cooled doughnuts and dip into hot caramel. BE CAREFUL, the caramel is scorching hot. Dip doughnuts into caramel, turn right side up and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Immediately sprinkle hot caramel with sea salt. Repeat with remaining doughnuts. Allow caramel to cool and promptly devour.
Original recipe by Megan Keno and Julie Chiou