Black Forest Cupcakes
Wanna know what’s super fun? Shopping for car insurance. Wanna know what makes it all better – these.
After a lengthy one sided discussion with my insurance agent, I have learned how Washington state comes up with their drivers license numbers. And someday I’m almost certain that useless bit of knowledge will come in super handy. *shakes head ‘no’* But on the plus side it will save us a few hundred bucks a year – which means, Mama gets a new camera lens. Or not. Maybe someday? But my highly reasonable husband will insist on waiting until he’s done with nursing school in like, 71.3 years… Mama ain’t never gettin’ her new lens.
Of course when you get your mind set on something, like Frye boots that your ginormous Czech calves will never fit into – you can’t help but hyper-focus on it. Much like this camera lens. So, thanks Julie for instigating this new fangled fascination with the 60mm lens. I equally love and hate you with love right now.
In turn, after eating one of these…fine, three… my hyper-focus is shifting to dark chocolate cake, topped with heavy whip, drizzled with warm, body hugging cherry kirsch and sexy chocolate shavings. Chocolate shavings are sexy, right?
Am I the only one who also adores gingham in any color? Thank you Sur la Table for shoving me over the edge. Lawwwdd, halp me if I stumble onto the green ones in the store. I promise nothing… except to cupcake all the things!
Ingredients for Black Forest Cupcakes
- Dark Chocolate
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sour Cream
- Cherry Pie filling
- Cherry Kirsch or other Brandy
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Fine Sugar
- Maraschino Cherries
- Chocolate Shavings
Last but not least – Huck has really upped his game on the sad seal eyes. The force is strong with this one. It’s almost too tempting to resist. He’s been getting extra snacks, snuggling on the bed with mom, or more likely at my feet – because no one actually holds the dog while he sleeps – so I just call it cuddling to ease my own mind and make me think my dog likes me more than he actually does.
But there is one person he likes more than me. Her. Because she makes awesome pupper cookies that make the labradork drool over just staring at the computer. Yes, he looks at the computer. Yes, he drools. A. LOT.
And you can wipe up your drool from these. Or just make them and drool over them in person. I highly suggest it.
Inspired Homemade Recipes To TryPrint
Chocolate and cherry make a perfect pair in this delightful dessert! Dark chocolate cupcakes are filled with cherries, topped with fluffy whipped cream, drizzled with warm cherry kirsch and dusted with chocolate shavings.
- 1 stick Butter, cubed
- 2 ounces Dark Chocolate
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Cherry Pie filling
- 1/4 cup Cherry Kirsch or other Brandy
- 1 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Fine Sugar
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Chocolate Shavings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In saucepan filled with about 1 cup of water, heat over the stove until just barely simmering. Cover with heat proof bowl like a make shift double boiler.
- Place butter, dark chocolate and cocoa powder into bowl and stir until the butter and the chocolate just melt and become smooth. Remove bowl from double boiler and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, vanilla, and salt until light yellow. Whisk in the cooled chocolate until incorporated.
- Begin to whisk in the flour, alternating with additions of sour cream. Whisk until all ingredients are whisked together.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 18-19 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in tin on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from tin and allow to finish cooling.
- When cupcakes have cooled completely, hollow out middle of cupcake and spoon in a small amount of cherry pie filling.
- Place removed cupcake piece back on top of the cupcake.
- Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
- Drizzle all filled cupcakes with cherry kirsch or other brandy of choice.
- In a stand mixer with a whip attachment, beat whipping cream on medium speed until stiff peaks form. In last 15 seconds of whipping, slowly pour in fine bakers sugar to sweeten.
- Spoon whipped cream into a piping bag, or a plastic bag with the corner removed and pipe onto cupcakes.
- Top with chocolate shavings and a maraschino cherry.
- Promptly devour.
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Dark Chocolate cupcakes
Keywords: chocolate cupcake, filled cupcakes, black forrest cupcake