Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix
A perfect homemade Christmas gift, or just because – this peppermint hot cocoa mix recipe is a great addition to the winter season!
Once I started making hot cocoa mix for the holidays, I may have gone a bit overboard. First it was the White Chocolate Eggnog Hot Cocoa mix recipe. Now, we’re going minty with this peppermint hot cocoa mix recipe! It makes a great gift, and uses some super dark chocolate cocoa. I always suggest making a batch for yourself to test the sweetness level and adjust as you like. And don’t forget the cute mason jars!
And with the weather getting super chilly, this homemade hot chocolate mix is going to warm you up.
Pssst. You can also make this a “peppermint mocha” mix with one simple add, instant espresso powder! You’re welcome.
Ingredients for Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix
- Unsweetened Chocolate
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Non-Fat Milk Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Peppermint Extract
- Kosher Salt
How to Make Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix
The best part about this homemade hot chocolate is that you can make it in a food processor, making clean up really simple.
Place all of the ingredients into the food processor, and blitz it until the ingredients are powdered and well blended.
Put the hot chocolate mix into an airtight container. It can be stored at room temperature, for about 6 months.
Can I substitute whole milk powder for nonfat milk powder?
You can, but the mix should be used within 2 months. Because of the fat in the whole milk powder, it can go rancid if not used quickly enough. If you live in a humid environment will turn it more quickly. It’s best to use nonfat milk powder just to extend the shelf life. You can use heated whole milk when you make a cup of hot chocolate instead.
More Edible Holiday Gift Ideas
- Eggnog White Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix
- One Bowl Marzipan Jam Cookies
- Cranberry Holiday Jam
- Gingerbread Moose Munch
- Peppermint Red Velvet Oreos
- Peppermint Bark Red Velvet Cake
Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 cup Sugar
- 4 ounces Unsweetened Chocolate, chopped fine or grated
- 1 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 cup Nonfat Milk Powder
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2–2 tsp Peppermint Extract, adjust as desired.
To Make Hot Cocoa –
- 1 cup Heated Milk
- 1/4 cup Hot Cocoa Mix
- Whipped Cream, optional
- Marshmallows, optional
For Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix
- Process all ingredients in a food processor until a fine powder forms, about 1 minute.
- Place the powder into an air tight container, or mason jar for storage and gifting.
- Use within 6 months.
To Make Serving of Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix
- Heat milk of your choice in a sauce pan until it is steaming and just about to bubble. Add in the hot cocoa mix, and whisk constantly for 2 to 3 minutes to allow the cocoa solids to melt. Pour into mug and serve.
- Or, boil hot water. Pour water into mug, and then add in cocoa mix powder. Stir until the cocoa solids have melted and serve.
- Top cocoa with whipped cream or marshmallows as desired.
Keywords: Hot Cocoa, Holidays, Christmas, Chocolate