Peppermint Red Velvet Oreos
Peppermint Red Velvet Oreos are going to be the top of your Christmas Cookie List! There is a list right? And these homemade red velvet cookie oreos are just the best!
Dish Count :: 1 Mixer, 1 Mixing Bowl, 2 Baking Sheets
Red velvet is one of those flavors that is absolutely vexing to me. It’s chocolate, but it’s not. It’s sinful, and so good. It’s a flavor you have to try and analyze, and then try again because that first bite didn’t quite make the answers clear. Then after about 15 bites in you realize half of the pan is gone and you’re no closer to the real answer of “What is the true definition of Red Velvet” then you were before – but you’re 15 cookies deep and well, it doesn’t matter – each cloying bite tasted amazing!
And that is where we find me, with yoga pants stretched too tight and a smile on my face.
My best friend had red velvet at her wedding and for years I’ve set about on a mission to “figure out” red velvet and what makes people tick about it. But why worry about “WHY” and just get to the enjoying part!!
Deborah Harroun of Taste and Tell came out with her Red Velvet Lover’s Cookbook and I got to take a peek at a copy and had to make these Red Velvet Oreos! Because we’re coming up on Christmas I had to give them a little bit of a winter flair and made mine with a peppermint filling – just like the mint Oreos you find in the store – which are hands down my kyrptonite. And Deb’s cookies did not disappoint!
The whole book is filled with every imaginable red velvet creation and I’m head over heels for them all. Red Velvet lava cakes and even her own version of Red Velvet ice cream, you’re going to swoon people – SWOON!
More Inspired Red Velvet Recipes
- Peppermint Red Velvet Cake
- Red Velvet Beet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Rolls
- Red Velvet Peppermint Swiss Roll Cake
Peppermint Red Velvet Oreos are going to be the top of your Christmas Cookie List! These homemade red velvet cookie oreos are just the best!
Red Velvet Oreo Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 8 Tbsp Butter, softened
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Red Food Coloring, or desired amount
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 8 Tbsp Butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp Hot Water
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract* Optional. For regular, simply omit peppermint*
Red Velvet Oreos:
- Place oven racks on upper and lower thirds of the oven, and preheat to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to combine.
- In stand mixer, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and food coloring. Add in the dry ingredients and stir until the dough comes together.
- Form dough into balls (about 1 Tbsp each) and place each ball at least 3 inches apart on the baking sheets. Flatten the balls slightly with the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Bake until the edges set, about 7-8 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the powdered sugar, shortening, butter, water and vanilla and peppermint in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Scrape bowl to ensure all the sugar is mixed in properly.
- Place the filling in a pastry bag with a 1/2″ round tip. turn half of the cookies over and pipe about 1 teaspoon of filling onto the flat side of each cookie. Place another cookie on top of the filling. Lightly press the cookies together to spread out the filling. Serve.
Keywords: Cookies, Oreo, Recipe, Red Velvet, Peppermint, Holiday, Christmas