Orange Mint Julep
It’s Derby de Mayo, y’all! Time to celebrate! In true derby fashion I whipped up a mint julep with a spin. This baby will have you drawlin’ Southern style in no time!
So don your hat, the bigger the better and sip down one of these babies.
Who are you placing your bets on?
Source yourself 3 orange mint leaves,
3 Kentucky Colonel Spearmint leaves, (as per tradition)
some bourbon whiskey, Triple Sec, ice, sugar, a muddler and a heavy bottom glass.
Place half the ice into a heavy glass and top with mint leaves. Smashy smashy with your muddler until the leaves have been pulverized and their essential oils released.
Top with 2 ounces bourbon, 1 ounce triple sec and 1 tsp sugar. Stir together until sugar has dissolved.
Pour over other half of ice and garnish with additional mint leaves. Viola! No – off to the track!Print
Celebrate Derby Day with a mint julep with a spin. This baby will have you drawlin’ Southern style in no time!
- 2 ounces Bourbon
- 1 ounce Triple Sec
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3 Orange Mint Leaves, extra for garnish
- 3 Spearmint leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 1/2 cup Ice
- With half of ice in heavy bottom glass, top with mint leaves and spearmint leaves – smashing with muddler or wooden spoon until leaves have been pulverized and ice has begun to chip.
- Top with bourbon, triple sec and sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Strain if you prefer, or transfer into clean heavy bottom glass, pouring over the rest of the ice.
- Garnish with additional mint leaves. Sip.