Crispy Baked Coconut Shrimp Street Tacos
When Mexican food calls, this is what should come to find! These crispy baked coconut shrimp street tacos are fresh and flavorful, and packed with crispy coconut! And don’t forget the lime cilantro broccoli slaw!
Dish Count :: 3 Bowls, 1 Baking Sheet, 1 Skillet
Spring is springing everywhere… except Seattle. We have had a record four days of NO rain this year… Someone bring me some sunshine, STAT!! And a margarita! And how about a trip to Mexico while we are at it. Just get me some warm.
I had a massive craving for shrimp a couple weeks ago that was not going to be abated by anything less than these crispy baked coconut shrimp street tacos. I ended up making them three times in just as many weeks. And they got better every time I made them. This is the final concoction and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
As a girl who grew up never liking shrimp, these are complete game changers. I’ll take the golden panko and crispy coconut ANYDAY!! The panko is pre-toasted and then it gets extra crispy as they bake again. It’s worth the effort to toast the panko before hand, so don’t skimp on this step. The golden coconut is just the right amount of sweetness to the tacos. Dang, I’m craving them again!
You can make these into larger soft tacos, but there is something so much fun about the mini street tacos, making these the perfect small lunch meal. The nice thing about these baked coconut shrimp tacos, is that you don’t have to feel guilty about them, sine they aren’t fried. And with the coleslaw they are practically a health food. Okay, maybe not totally, but you can at least pretend.
Ingredients for Crispy Baked Coconut Shrimp Street Tacos
- Shredded Coconut
- Vegetable Oil
- Ground Pepper
- Fresh Parsley
- Ready Made Broccoli Slaw Mix
- Sour Cream
- Lime Juice
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Red Pepper flakes
- Street Taco sized Flour Tortillas
Inspired Homemade Recipes To Try
When Mexican food calls, this is what you should come to find! These crispy baked coconut shrimp street tacos are fresh and flavorful, and packed with crispy coconut and lime cilantro broccoli slaw!
- 1 pound Peeled and Deveined Shrimp, raw
- 2 cup Panko
- 1 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 Eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Pepper
- 2 tsp Dried or Fresh Parsley
- 1 tsp powdered garlic
- 1 bag Ready Made Broccoli Slaw Mix
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 3 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp minced Cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper flakes, optional
- 10 Street Taco sized Flour Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In small bowl whisk together egg and milk. Set aside. To another small bowl add cornstarch. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, flour, salt, pepper, parsley, and dried garlic. Set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat vegetable oil. Pour in panko crumbs and shredded coconut. Stirring constantly, toast the panko and coconut until golden brown. Remove from heat and place on a plate to cool. Set aside.
- To ease assembly, place the bowls of ingredients in a line – bowl of flour/cornstarch and spices first, the egg/milk bowl in the middle, and the coconut/panko plate last.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Take each shrimp and dredge into the cornstarch/flour mixture, shaking off excess, then dip into egg coating completely. Next dredge into coconut/panko mixture and place on baking sheet.
- Place the shrimp in the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes or until the shrimp are done and the coconut is a deep golden brown.
For the Broccoli Slaw
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, apple cider vinegar, and red pepper flakes.
- Add in the broccoli slaw ready mix and toss to coat the slaw entirely. Set it aside.
- Top each street taco tortilla with broccoli slaw, two to three crispy baked coconut shrimp, and top with guacamole and extra sour cream if desired.
- Eat immediately.