Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies are the bread and butter of the cookie world. Emphasis on the butter. Chocolate chip cookies were the first cookie that I learned to bake as a kid. So these hold a very special places in my heart. But as a full on grown up, responsible adult my tastes have changed, morphed, become more sophisticated…or something. I know, I laughed at that statement, too. Well, I decided that my classic chocolate chip cookie recipe needed a tiny bit of a change. Not a significant one – because why mess with something so great? Just something to take it up a notch – with brown butter. Brown butter chocolate chip cookies. Can you smell what Country Cleaver is cookin’? Sorry, that was just too easy.
And so are these brown butter chocolate chip cookies!
If you have never had or heard of brown butter – I have to ask, how’s that rock you’re living under? I kid, I kid. Really. It is magical butter that has been simmered into submission and toasted until it develops a nutty and toffee like flavor. Let me roll my eyes back into the front of my head here, cause it is insanely amazing. And easy, too. In the coming weeks, How-To Brown Butter is going to be one of the topics I cover in the my new How-To Tuesday series – or How To-esday, as I have taken to calling it. Did you catch this week’s first installment of How to Make Bread?
But back to the brown butter chocolate chip cookies… I made this all last weekend while Ben was sniffling, I figured that playing with cookies was the most logical and reasonable thing to do. And if cookies made him feel better at all, I fulfilled my marital obligations of helping him through those “for better or worse, in sickness and snotty” vows. The cookies must have made him feel much better, because he hate all the remaining cookies I had stored in our microwave away from Huck’s wandering nose. Trust me, that nose is a wanderer – He’s managed to devour 13 red velvet cupcakes, foil wrappers in all. Counter surfing mutt. I’m a little bitter on both accounts – and I want cookies. Now that I’ve caught Ben’s cold, do you think he’ll make me “get better hunny” cookies?
A girl can dream.
Have you ever tried Brown Butter?
For more fantastic cookies try some of these –
Brown Sugar Maple Pecan Cookies – Bake Your Day
Almond Cranberry Dark Chocolate Cookies – London Bakes
Homemade Mint Oreos – Country Cleaver
Biscoff Cookie Truffles – Country CleaverPrint
Brown butter takes these sweet and rich chocolate chip cookies to another level!
- 2 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Butter, browned and cooled
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- In a small saucepan over medium to medium high heat, melted butter and bring to a light simmer. Stirring or whisking constantly allow butter to simmer until it foams. About 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk vigorously until the foam just starts to turn golden brown.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl to cool. Allow butter to cool and solidify slightly.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix together brown sugar and white sugar. Add in cooled brown butter. Beat in vanilla extract.
- When it mixes and becomes light and fluffy, add in eggs beating for 30 seconds between each egg.
- In 1/2 cup increments, with mixer set on low, mix in flour mixture until all has been just combined.
- Pour in 2 cups of chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- With a cookie scoop, scoop out cookies onto a cookie sheet and bake for 21-22 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool on a wire rack. Devour.
Megan Pence-Keno Chocolate Chip Cookies