Mini Coconut Cream Pies
There is no better way to start the week than with a big, giant SURPRISE! Especially when it’s a surprise for someone as positively lovely as Christina – our lovely friend Dessert for Two! We’re all here today to help celebrate her impending nuptials and how better to celebrate than with oodles of treats from some of the best bloggers we know!
How I wish that we were all closer together so we could celebrate in person, but in lieu of that I wanted to bring some very quick and easy Mini Coconut Cream Pies to the proceedings. These mini coconut cream pies come together in a snap with minimal cooking time and maximum flavor. When everyone is together celebrating something as great as a wedding the last thing you want to do is be tied up in the kitchen. These will get you back to the party in no time flat.
Coconut cream pie just makes me think of sitting on a beach in Hawai’i honeymoon style, sipping on colorful cocktails with little umbrellas, enjoying the sand between my freshly manicured wedding toesies and reveling in all the greatness that is newlywedded bliss. It’s a fabulously giddy feeling that you’ll be feeling soon enough Christina! We all wish you nothing but the best in this new life adventure. Congratulations doll face!
Ingredients for Mini Coconut Cream Pies
- Pre-Baked Frozen Mini Phyllo Cups
- Coconut Milk
- Shredded Coconut
- Pinch of Salt
- Egg Yolks
- Corn Starch
- Vanilla Extract
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Rum or Rum Flavoring
- Vanilla Extract
- Toasted Shredded Coconut
Join the rest of us as we celebrate Christina with lots of food to go around with the recipe for the Mini-Coconut Cream Pies located below.
Strawberry Macarons – Krissy’s Creations
White Wedding Cake Cupcakes – Table for Two
Mini “I-Do”-nuts – Chip Chip Hooray
Moon Pie Cake – Espresso and Cream
Whiskey Walnut Blondies – Eat, Live, Run
Brown Butter Snickerdoodles – Eats Well with Others
Lemon Cupcakes with Sweet Tea Frosting – Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
Chocolate Covered Cheerios – Cookies and Cups
Sweet and Salty Party Cookies – Keep It Sweet Desserts
And then there was one. And I ate ’em.
Inspired Homemade Recipes To TryPrint
All the flavor of the traditional Coconut Cream Pie, made in pre-made phyllo dough cups for quick preparation. Perfect for parties.
- 30 Pre-Baked Frozen Mini Phyllo Cups, 2 packages
- 3/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/4 Shredded Coconut
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Tbsp Butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Rum or Rum Flavoring
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Toasted Shredded Coconut for garnish
For the Filling:
- In sauce pan, bring coconut milk, milk, one half of the sugar, shredded coconut and salt to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, other half of the sugar and cornstarch until it is smooth.
- Gently temper the egg yolk mixture by SLOWLY whisking in the heated coconut and milk mixture. Whisk constantly.
- Pour whole mixture back into sauce pan and over medium heat whisk constantly until the mixture starts to thicken – about 1 minute. Add in cubed butter and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth and butter has melted.
- Immediately remove from heat and pour into bowl. Press plastic wrap onto the top of the custard and place in fridge for at least one hour to cool.
- In stand mixer, whip the heavy cream, sugar, rum, and vanilla together until soft peaks form.
- When ready to finish dollop up about 1 Tablespoon of coconut cream into the phyllo cups. Or spoon coconut cream into plastic bag and snip off the end of the bag – piping the cream into the phyllo cups.
- Top with prepared whipped cream topping by either dolloping on top or piping on top of the coconut custard. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve.
- Best served immediately or can be left in fridge to chill for no more than 1-2 hours.
Inspired by ATK’s Coconut Cream Pie.