Blueberry Pecan Crumble Coffee Cake
My internet and I are having nightly fights. It throws a tantrum, I dip my spoon into the jar of Nutella. Sooo, basically I’ve been eating a lot of Nutella and having a really hard time blogging lately. I spend so much time trying to figure out what to tell you everyday just as the interwebs throws itself down on my floor and starts kicking and screaming, everything that I want to write goes out the window. So naturally, when I finally get the chance to tell you all about my fiddle-de-day, this is what happens – word vomit. Lucky you. That was sarcasm, I know it doesn’t translate well over the internet. But I DO have something worth while to talk about – this Blueberry Pecan Crumble Coffee Cake.
Something else I’ve been doing a lot of lately is sneezing. And Huck has been itching. It’s spring – it’s what happens. The poor dude is a contradiction in and of himself. He’s got all the stereotypical health problems like many pure bred labradorks do, he’s got the hip dysplasia and ligament issues causing him to bunny run. Then he’s allergic to E.v.e.r.y.THANG!! Trees? All of them. Grasses, yup. Dust? Oh yeah. Considering that 90% of the dust in my house is because of him, he’s practically allergic to himself. To top it all off on the irony meter – he’s a bird dog allergic to feathers.
But that really doesn’t have anything to do with my internet. Spring has sprung – and I finally planted my garden, I’ve been consuming fruits like there is no tomorrow and throwing blueberries into everything, from these blueberry cottage pancakes, Monday I have a Blueberry Protein Smoothie (it’s that purdy lookin’ thing below) coming at you with a fantastic giveaway from AlbionFit for a Showstopper Swimsuit that is to die for. I’ll be in Florida in two weeks, and I finally get to show off all that hard work I’ve been putting in at the gym. Hopefully my so-white-I’m-practically-glow-in-the-dark skin won’t scare too many pool goers away.
But back to the main point of this word-vomity post – the blueberry crumble coffee cake was the main point and most important thing. So here’s the recipe below. I can’t get enough. No. Really. The pan is ¾ gone because of me. *hangs head in shame*
Get more fruity desserts::
Lemon Berry Napoleons
Blueberry Lemon Glazed Baked Donuts
Gluten Free Cranberry Crumble Bars
Wrapped Baked Apple CrumblePrint
Blueberry Pecan Crumble Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
This tender coffee cake is dotted with blueberries and chopped apple, then topped with a crunchy pecan crumble. It’s a comforting treat for breakfast or brunch!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, Plus 1 Tbsp, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 Lemon zested
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Blueberries, fresh or frozen, but not thawed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with foil and spray with non stick spray.
- Whisk 1 cup of flour, baking powder and salt in bowl.
- Beat softened butter and oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer until combined evenly and light in color. Add in sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, milk, lemon zest and vanilla and beat on until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into lined baking pan.
- Place berries and apple in a small bowl, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour and toss very gently to coat. Sprinkle the fruit over the batter and very gently press into the batter.
- Combine cold butter and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl. With two knives or a pastry blender, cut them together until the butter is in small pieces and uniform crumbles form.
- Add pecans and toss until evenly incorporated. Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
- Bake the cake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean and the nuts are a deep brown, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 2 hours.
- Lift it out of the pan, using the edges of the foil, onto a cutting board, and cut into 12 servings.
Adapted from Eating Well’s Berry-Pecan Coffee Cake
Keywords: blueberry coffee cake, apple coffee cake, blueberry crumb cake
Poor Huck “allergic to himself” – it’s just so hilariously tragic. And helloooo blueberries. Beautiful coffee cake!
Amazing!! Love the big blueberries!! It is just beautiful!
Aw, Huck! Boo to spring allergies for you both. Hoping you feel better soon!
And holy cow girl. Glad the interwebs allowed you to post this coffee cake. Looks incredible!!!
Gah I want to reach through my monitor and grab every piece of that coffee cake! And also that cute Huck. 😉
I want to eat that.
Don’t you just hate it when you get word vomit! Happens to me all the time ~ seriously!!!
Oh My… now that looks yum..
This cake looks so delicious. I love that crumbly topping so much.
Oh Huck! And this cake – I love it all!
I love Huck! I wish I had a doggie. And this coffee cake, forget about it!
First off, I have the same problem with my laptop. She likes to throw lots of fits, and I hate it. Definitely drooling over a much needed Macbook these days. Someday… Secondly, Huck’s eyes are to die for. SO sweet! Thirdly I want both coffee cake and the smoothie! Dying over all these breakfast posts today! Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I havent eaten yet this morning…
Aww, poor allergic pup! Mine seems to be suffering some spring allergies lately too. No better way to deal with it than slice up a BIG slab of this gorgeous coffee cake for yourself! 😉 That’s what I plan to do… Great recipe, Megan!
YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY! I love this!
The coffee cake looks amazing, keep the blueberries coming! I would love a big slice of coffee cake with a nice blueberry smoothie..mmm!
Get out of my head! I’ve been browsing blueberry crumb cakes on Pinterest for weeks. Guess I can quit looking now. Yours looks perfect!
Awww poor Huck! What awful irony!
This coffee cake looks like the best coffee cake ever. I am so down with blueberry coffee cake!!
I am totally loving spring and fruit lately too! This cake looks incredible! I was surprised thst there’s apple in it, but that sounds like a great addition.
This sounds absolutely perfect!!
Awww….Huck….I just want to hug him! He is soooo cute!!
Oh… you had me at blueberry. This looks so good!
Word vomit practically sums up all my blog posts. And while I dont love the itching and sneezing that goes along with spring, I do love the fresh fruit. This blueberry pecan crumble coffee cake look delish!
Just as a I go to type my comment, the internet stopped working and shut down. So apparently I can relate 🙂 Love this coffee cake! And yeah for FL and showing off hard work – p90x is kicking my butt!
I love anything blueberry and this is divine. Your poor sweet labra dork, ( you crack me up).I love your blog!! xo
This cake looks fabulous! I love crumble coffee cake so much 🙂
Pingback: Easter Brunch Ideas | Newman's Corner