This tender coffee cake is dotted with blueberries and chopped apple, then topped with a crunchy pecan crumble. It’s a comforting treat for breakfast or brunch!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, Plus 1 Tbsp, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 Lemon zested
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Blueberries, fresh or frozen, but not thawed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with foil and spray with non stick spray.
- Whisk 1 cup of flour, baking powder and salt in bowl.
- Beat softened butter and oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer until combined evenly and light in color. Add in sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, milk, lemon zest and vanilla and beat on until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into lined baking pan.
- Place berries and apple in a small bowl, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour and toss very gently to coat. Sprinkle the fruit over the batter and very gently press into the batter.
- Combine cold butter and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl. With two knives or a pastry blender, cut them together until the butter is in small pieces and uniform crumbles form.
- Add pecans and toss until evenly incorporated. Sprinkle the topping over the batter.
- Bake the cake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean and the nuts are a deep brown, 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 2 hours.
- Lift it out of the pan, using the edges of the foil, onto a cutting board, and cut into 12 servings.
Adapted from Eating Well’s Berry-Pecan Coffee Cake
Keywords: blueberry coffee cake, apple coffee cake, blueberry crumb cake