Easy Cheesy Baked Chicken Parmesan
Easy cheesy baked chicken parmesan, crusted in toasted panko and perfect for busy weeknight dinners. Ben and I love this for those busy nights, and when we need comfort food that doesn’t make us feel guilty!
There are three things I am absolutely terrified of. Okay fine, four. One of them I am doing today, or more accurately, probably right now – flying, to Houston no less. But the other three of the other fears came together and slapped me in a way that only the universe could a couple of days ago…
Fear one involves being humiliated in front of others.
Fear two, slugs.
And nothing can render me utterly helpless, whiney, and leave me wanting my mommy so much as scraping my knee.
Then Wednesday it all happened. It all started off well and good, with a gentle run to see how Huck would be as my new running partner. At 6 years old, he’s mature enough to handle the responsibility of being my protector on the pavement and cheer leader for every step. How wrong I was.
Just as only the universe could do, we had picked up the pace to a gentle jog when out of nowhere, five cars came whizzing by, I tripped on the lip in the concrete sidewalk and Huck decided that that tree, that one right there was the perfect tree to take a leak on and yanked me in the other direction.
Somehow that one second happened so quickly, yet took an eternity – and there I was realizing I was on the ground with a dog at the end of his leash, peeing on a tree, and with hands and knees that looks like burger, five cars full of witnesses – and a slug right next to me. A SLUG.
Lip quivering, voice shaking, and sitting on the wet concrete with slug by my side, giving me a side eye and a casual “Hey, what’s up”, I got up, whispered “mommy”, and just trudged home sniffling and bloody. Have you ever seen Emperor’s New Groove and a sniveling llama Cuzco? Think that, in Megan form.
So, once it all heals, I’ll be back at it again with Huck. Maybe it will go better next time. I’ll just make sure the sidewalk is level and there are no trees around. Or slugs.
This easy cheesy chicken parmesan is one of Ben’s and my favorite chicken dishes. It’s quick for a week night dinner, healthy, and not fried, and still covered in cheese. I love this dish – it’s equal parts cozy and healthy, and perfect for any mood.Print
Easy cheesy baked chicken parmesan, crusted in toasted panko and perfect for busy weeknight dinners. It’s comfort food without the guilt!
- 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 cups Panko crumbs
- 1 ½ Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Milk
- ¼ cup Flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ cup Spaghetti Sauce
- ¾ cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a non-stick skillet, add in olive oil. When heated, pour in panko crumbs and stir to coat in olive oil. Stir until the crumbs turn golden brown. Remove from heat and pour into a shallow bowl or a plate.
- In two other dishes or plates, to one add in flour and stir in the cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, and garlic powder. To the other dish whisk together the eggs and milk to form a mixture.
- Using a sharp knife, slice each chicken breast into two fillets, cutting it horizontally. If there are thick sides, use a meat tenderizer to ensure that the chicken is of even thickness.
- Then, dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture, then the egg wash, and then coat in the panko. Place each chicken breast on to a non stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes until the chicken reaches 160 degrees. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, remove the chicken and top with spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese. Then place back in the oven to finish cooking.
- Serve immediately.