Summer Vegetable Panzanella
Things happening right now…
a) I’m dreaming of this panzanella. Again. You have no idea. #obsessed
1) Watching the Season Finale of Season 2 of Game of Thrones. Mind. Being. Blown. Jeoffrey is a little twerp. The Hound, well I almost want to hug him. What happened to Arya?!? Let Robb marry the nurse girl!!! And I want to see Briann beat the daylights out of Jaime. Oh and don’t even get me started on the Queen. Lady be some seriously brand of cray cray.
2) A pair of my closest and dearest friends, got married this weekend and I made them a cake, in a kitchenette. More on that to come. It included the Mission Impossible theme playing on repeat. Where was Tom Cruise repelling from the ceiling when I needed him? That’s okay, I had Kim and Bryan come to my rescue.
Exhibit A – Kitchenette.
Exhibit B – The Cake.
2b) I’m also coming down from a wedding cake sugar high. And an Idaho high. I love it there.
3) The groom cried more than the bride. And that made me cry more than at my own wedding. And I cried a lot there, too. I mean, alot. If you don’t subscribe to the “Look at the Groom as the Bride Walks Down the Aisle” notion yet – do it starting now.
4) I got into a staring contest with a Rooster. He’s a sore loser .
5) Ladies – get your man some Express. Ain’t no pair of dress pants will make a man’s bum look better! I’m off to buy more pairs for Ben, cause man – he looks good. Is there a quota on how much you can pinch your husband’s bum before it gets akward in public? Hi hunny!!
6) Struggles the Traveling Fish did make it to and from Idaho wonderfully. But I think he’s ready for his tank on my desk tomorrow morning. Therei s only so much room in a 20 ounce plastic smoothie cup one fish can stand. But he kept me great company while wedding cake baking.
7) OMG Robb married the nurse girl!! Sorry, Game of Thrones things. Seriously, watch it. But only if gore doesn’t bother you. It has it. Lots.
8) Beka made me watch and episode of Doctor Who where statues come to life and try to kill people. I am now suspicious of all statues. Don’t trust them.
Also – This. I mean, she’s like a dang Boho Chic ad.
9) I took like 17 different photos of this skull in Idaho. Why, I don’t know. But I like it. And if you don’t have the Snapseed app for your phone yet – Best $5 app you will EVER buy.
10) I just got a whole salmon overnighted to me. A whole salmon. What am I gonna do with a whole salmon? What are your favorite salmon dishes? I’ve got a few like Salmon Ceviche, and Salmon burgers with Healthy Coleslaw, but this beast seems right for the grilling.
11) For anyone planning an “Unplugged” wedding – or a wedding that you don’t want going out over all the social medias – get the WeddingParty app. All photos from the event get uploaded there and you can share them with other guests. It’s a wedding – it doesn’t have to be Facebooked, and you can enjoy it with just the people at your big day, not them and their 748 other Facebook friends. Best app!! It’s like Instagram for Weddings!
Okay – down to real business here. Panzanella. I can’t get enough. And the variations are endless. Have you seen Stephanie’s today, too? We are on the same wavelength with panzanellas today. Girl knows the way to my heart!
Mine is chock full of summer veggies, like tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, corn, and of course lots of feta and a light dijon sauce and obscenely large toasted hunks of bread. Because, duh.
Enjoy!! I’m in need of a pillow, STAT.Print
This panzanella is chock full of summer veggies, like tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, corn. Large toasted hunks of bread, feta, and a light dijon sauce complete this summer salad!
- 4 Slices, Artisan Bread, cubed
- 15 Red and Yellow Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 small zucchini, peeled and cubed
- 1 small summer Squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup White or Yellow Corn Kernels
- 1 cup Feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Basil Leaves, minced
- 1/3 cup Garlic Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Set aside or in fridge until last step.
- Slice bread into chunks, toss with olive oil. Place under broiler and toast until golden brown on all sides. Flip chunks of bread often to toast. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In large bowl, combine all remaining vegetable ingredients, except feta and basil. Gently fold together to combine all veggies evenly.
- Add in feta, basil, cooled bread chunks and dressing – gently folding all together to combine into the salad.
- Eat immediately or place in fridge to chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Megan Keno – Country Cleaver