Smoked Salmon and Caramelized Onion Dip + A Giveaway!
We are painting the town blue!! Red is so last year. This year, is the year of the Hawk, if you believe in football lore and legend, and Seattle is in the Superbowl! It’s kind of a big deal for us. If you’ve never been to Seattle you really ought to see it now, the entire town is lit up in blue and green. Christmas morphed into Superbowl and our lights never came down!
Superbowl game day is a big deal in our family. Every year around 30 members of our family cram into the living room, with half of us on the couches, and the others parked in any chair they could find or the younger crowd parked in the middle of the floor. And of course, as per Superbowl party rules – balancing a plate of goodies in one hand and cheering with the other.
This year, it will be a Superbowl party on over drive!
There are three very important components that go into making a Superbowl party great. One, having your hometown team in the Superbowl. Check. Two, epic commercials that we wait all year to see! Check. And three – the FOOD! Double check!
When it comes to the food you need several categories including savory snacks, grilled meats, something healthy for that one aunt who just has to have her veggie platter wherever she goes, and DIPS! It’s not a complete game day without dips.
The road to the Superbowl was paved through Wisconsin, as Russell Wilson was a Wisconsin grad, so naturally incorporating Wisconsin cheese into the party is a must. High quality and a variety of flavors means you can pack your game day cheer face with flavorful, versatile, and utterly gooey Wisconsin cheeses. For this dip, I went with what I know – Northwest flavors and creamy cheeses. The people of the PNW loves their smoked salmon, and some Apple Wood Smoked Gouda from Wisconsin was just the right flavor combo for this dip.
After one bite, I asked Ben if he liked it and he all but shoved me out of the way, and said “I could eat this whole thing a spoon!”. Sounds like a game day winner to me!
With Superbowl coming up quick, the folks at Wisconsin Cheese and Dairydips.com want to make sure you’re pumped and ready for the big game and the big feast with a Variety of Artisan Wisconsin Cheese and a Bamboo Triple Dip Party Tray. Below, be sure to leave me the name of your favorite game day dip and enter to win!
And of course, Go Hawks!
Ingredients for Smoked Salmon and Caramelized Onion Dip
- Sweet Onion
- Wisconsin Gouda
- Cream Cheese
- Cayenne Pepper
- Smoked Salmon
Inspired Homemade Recipes To TryPrint
A warm, creamy game-day dip filled with smoky flavor from applewood smoked gouda and smoked salmon!
- 1 Walla Walla Sweet Onion, caramelized
- 2 Tbsp Butter, for caramelizing Onion
- 1 1/2 cup Shredded Wisconsin Gouda
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Chives, minced
- 1 Tbsp Parlsey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 ounces Smoked Salmon, flaked *Note* NOT Lox
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, melt butter. Once butter starts to bubble add in thinly sliced onion and stir. Caramelize onion, stirring occasionally until it reduces and becomes golden brown and soft. Remove from skillet and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix together the shredded Wisconsin Gouda, cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth and combined. Mix in pepper, herbs and garlic. Stir in caramelized onion and flaked smoked salmon.
- Spoon into an oven safe dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and bubbling on top. Serve with crackers, chips or chunks of bread.
Megan Keno – Country Cleaver
Need a few more Game Day Dip Suggestions? Give these a try!
*Fine Print* This post is sponsored by the Wisconsin Cheese Board and DairyDips.com. All opinions are my own. I was compensated for this post. The giveaway will end Wednesday, January 29th. The winner will be randomly chosen and e-mailed. They will have 24 hours to respond.