Slow Cooker Chili Lime Chicken
I feel like ducking and covering every time someone tells me about the wonders of an electric pressure cooker, and I tell them that I don’t have one. I get the “Whaaaa? Whyyyy? They’re the Besssttttt!” Okay, while I get it, and I do find them intriguing, I can tell you too that I have had a slow cooker for the last 10 years that until this year, I had used it once for every year I have had it. NOW, I am finally putting it to use for all sorts of things, and it is paying off in spades!
So, let me get used to slow cooking something before I jump on the bandwagon of another cooking appliance! I am, at the age of 32, with an infant, finally finding the wonders of the slow cooker! I’m embracing it. And I’m so happy with everything I have made in it, especially this slow cooker chili lime chicken from Mary Younkin’s new cookbook!
I have relied on my friends’ cookbooks with slow cooker recipes as I learn to navigate the “set it and forget it” nature of slow cooking. And it has been immeasurably helpful for me trying to meal prep! This recipe in particular is probably one of the most versatile chicken recipes I have made, because this chicken can go on EVERYTHING!
Let me count the ways!
*Puts on cloak like The Count of Sesame Street*
One, ha. ha. ha. Chicken tacos!
Two, ha. ha. ha. Enchiladas!
Three, ha. ha. ha. NACHOS!
Truth be told I was desperate for inspiration for my lunches last week, and I added this chicken to my arugula and veggie salad and it was PERFECT! It was so filling, and so flavorful. And this chicken has the added benefit of being Whole30 compliant! WOO!!
Mary has it all figured out in her book of The Weekday Lunches and Breakfasts Cookbook! It’s a follow up to her wildly popular book The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook! I featured her Chicken Cordon Bleu Sliders here on the blog and they have made appearances at nearly every event I have hosted at our house, and I have passed on this recipe to friends who have made it part of their regular meal rotation with their kiddos!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chili Lime Chicken
- Chicken Thighs
- Mexican Seasoning, or Taco Seasoning
- Fresh Lime Juice
I spent my Saturday morning flipping through Mary’s book, and putting sticky notes one every other recipe that I wanted to try. And there are a lot of them. Your weeknight dinners were saved with Mary’s Weeknight Dinner cookbook, and now she is saving the day with her Weekday Breakfasts and Lunches. Is there anything this woman can’t do?! God love her.
Inspired Homemade Recipes To Try
Inspired Homemade Recipes To TryPrint
This recipe is super versatile, because this chicken can go on EVERYTHING! Try it in tacos, enchiladas, nachos, or on top of a salad for lunch.
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/3 cup Mexican Seasoning, or Taco Seasoning
- 1/3 cup Fresh Lime Juice, about 4 large limes
- 1 small Onion, sliced thinly
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with Mexican seasoning, or taco seasoning. Pour the lime juice over the chicken. Toss to coat it well.
- Add in the onions, and cover with the lid. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is tender and pulls apart with a fork.
- When the chicken pulls apart easily, shred it gently, leaving plenty of larger pieces. Toss the chicken in the juices of the slow cooker, and turn off the slow cooker to allow the chicken to rest and reabsorb some of the juices.
From Mary Younkin’s Cookbook The Weekday Breakfasts and Lunches Cookbook