1) For the first time in my life, dinner last night consisted of dessert. Well, I should take that back. The first time in my responsible, boring, adult and in bed by nine every night adult life consisted of froyo. And it was a miraculous thing. I really think that that one girl from Remember Me with RPatz and Chris Cooper (oh, you didn’t see it? Yeah, not many people did. I’m just weird), had the right idea when she always ate dessert first. Life is too short. Or I’ll just find anyway I can to justify eating something sweet over something it is good for me. So responsible.
1b) And it had M&Ms on it. Cause you needed to know that.
2) There were a lot of dips consumed over SuperBowl weekend. And then, I had to consume more dips yesterday to prep for March Madness. Three dips, three wildly varying schmears to be slathered over bread and devoured unabashedly. Hence, number 1.
3) The best new photo prop or supply I bought was last weekend. It was $5 and way better than the bead board I originally went in for.
FYI Home Depot (or at least mine) won’t cut you a custom piece of beadboard out of a 4×8 foot sheet. What was I going to do with a 4×8 sheet of bead board in a one bedroom apartment and no visible wallspace to tack it up? Well, using a 2×2 section for food photos is what my intended purpose was…but no, that was squashed like a slug beneath my shoe. I take that bad. I hate slugs – it’s the no-legs thing, I’d be on the horizon by now instead.
I picked up a totes gorgeous but not so light 16×16 inch porcelain tile section for a whopping $5. That’s practically the price of a Triple Grande Soy Cinnamon Dulce Latte. You can see it in the second dip photo down below. Perfection.
4) Speaking of all those dips, I made this Roasted Tomato Brie dip about 9 months ago. Devoured it all myself, thank you. Well, I made it again and took some new photos. It’s like a before and after reality show makeover here, just less bags under your eyes and no mom jeans. But it still stands that this dips is the stuff cheese angels are made of. Like, WOAH!
Woah, right? Here’s the skinny and a bit on an honesty bomb thrown in.
We bloggers can get really bogged down with all the greatness, funness, newness, and neatoness that is photo equipment, cameras and editing software. Trust me – I’m NO different. The lusting I do over the camera section at Costco over the Canon 60D usually involves two pallet movers and an elephant. But here I made one big change – a new lens.
I’ve been using the exact same camera since before I started blogging, a Canon Rebel xSi and switched it up from the stock 18-55mm lens to this 60mm in this photo. Between the 50mm and the 60mm, I can’t decide which lens I like more. There are so many options, expensive ones too – but I have reluctantly realized (thank you BEN!), it’s not the camera that takes crappy photos, it’s us, the users. More often than not we aren’t using the camera right to take great photos! It’s all about the tools. Take the time to learn your camera and you will find your groove and your photography will change before your eyes. Don’t be discouraged. Be encouraged and be empowered. Ready? BREAK!
5) We still haven’t ordered our wedding photos – six months later – but I decided to change out some of the photos I’ve had around the house so we had a little more Palouse in our lives to look at. It helps fill the void.
6) And if you didn’t see this yet – I have to ask – how is that rock you’re living under? Because dessert for dinner and now looking at this for breakfast really just shows you how far I’ve fallen. Send help. And Girl Scout cookies. With some salted caramel sauce.
7) Is anyone else completely smitten with all the mint things this season? My singular focus in all things fashion is now honed in on mint. Went to Target and the three items purchased were all varying shades of mint. The nail polish alone is the best $2 ever spent.
I just might be making a trip to Home Depot today!! Love how those pictures turned out. Also that Samoas Brownie Parfait?! Whyyyyy did I not see that before Valentine’s Day? Drooling.
I hope you went to Home Depot and got a tile! There were so many options I stood in the aisle for like 20 minutes trying to decide haha
That’s hilarious! I just bought that same piece of tile from Home Depot! Love it. 🙂
And cheers to all things mint!!! (Both decor AND the candy!)
Oh you did?! Photo prop twinsies!! I love this tile, I think it’s perfect. I might go get another one in a slightly darker shade, kind of a slate gray next!
LOVE IT! I thought about getting a slab of tile for a while now. Thanks for the extra push! Also, I’m so in love with that crazy Samoa thing you’ve got going on. And the mint. MMM.
Yes, go get a piece of tile. I love that granite slabs people have bought for their photos – but some at Sur la Table can cost like $60 I’ve heard. I figured $5 was more in my range and then I can get multiples of different tiles and varying textures. 🙂 Do it!
I heart mint color and literally almost bought a mint nail polish last night!! Your photos are gorgeous. Seriously stunning.
The new tile prop is completely amazing! I really, really need to get out and find some new stuff.
Btw, I shared your parfait on FB. I so died over that. My fave Girl Scout cookie! 😉
Love reading posts like this, it’s like sitting down and having coffee with you! I’m a fan of mint colored things, not mint flavored things. 🙂
I think this Saturday Stuff post will be a new thing, it’s nice to get out all the little things out of my head that have gone on from the last week 🙂
I am OBSESSED with mint colored things for spring. Though… the color is not great on my skin tone. I just don’t care…
yes, i can’t stress it enough that it’s not the BODY of the camera, it’s the GLASS and the USER. people just can’t seem to grasp that concept. i hear people all the time that are like “oh, i need to upgrade my body cause i need a better camera so i can take better pictures” seriously irks me to hear that – i’m glad that you (and ben) were able to realize it’s totally glass & the user!! yes yes, study the camera and everything about it cause if you don’t, you’ll never get it! which is how i just got to understand manual mode a year later! haha, so proud of you 🙂 your pics are kicking! don’t you just love the 60mm?!
I hate seeing people buying all these fancy ass cameras when they don’t take any better pictures – they just think that since it’s a “better” camera their pictures will automatically take better photos. Good photos take a LOT of work, it takes patience and time. I’ve been taking photos for five years and it always evolves into something better – you never stop learning!! And this camera has been great for five years. Sure I want a new one, but there is no REAL need for it yet. When I can rock my photos will this camera and learn all I can with it, then I’ll upgrade and learn how to rock my photos on the next one! 🙂 Win Win! I love using manual mode – it’s such a awesome feeling, I feel like I strut when I take a good photo in manual haha Oh and that 60mm is Seriously INSANELY amazing. Best money I have spent on a lens. Thanks!
Last year, I bought a piece of tile from HD for food photos. Got home, set it down, and it shattered! Bummer! I have no idea why I haven’t gone back and gotten a different piece, because yes, it’s a great idea!!!
Oh totally go back and get another one! For $5 it’s worth the cost. 🙂 Don’t get discouraged!
True words about the camera. I only recently updated to actually using a dslr which I freaking love! I was just shooting for a post today and started using more manual and really experimenting with settings, some worked some were better for another situation but when you get “that” shot it makes you feel awesome, right?
Uhmm is that a shirt because I totally love the color and polka dots. BTW you’re not alone. I saw it and was kind of an idiot for not realizing what the movie was going to be about before I saw it and was then basically crushed. PS – going on an m&m and pb binge at fbf.
Do you have a habitat for humanity restore near you? I bought a 16×16 ceramic tile exactly like yours there for – $1. GO NOW if you have one. So many tiles and awesome backdrop props for cheeeeep. I hear you on the camera stuff. I bought a 50 mm lens and LOVE it. I shoot Nikon and while my DSLR is great? Its about 6 years old and doesn’t have video capability. The only reason I want a newer one is for that, if mine had video I wouldn’t get a new one. I feel like after 6 years of shooting with it I still am learning and getting new lenses totally helps. I always believe its the user and not the equipment there is a reason for the saying “operator error” not ” equipment error” ha ha. Oh and I need to go on a hunt for girl scout cookies being sold here I NEED Those samoa parfaits
It’s amazing the difference a new lens can make!
Love the tile idea, I’ve been thinking of getting one myself, and I’ve been coveting a new lens for my camera. My real problem is that no matter where I go, it’s like the whole world is a food photo prop.