Quick Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pan Rolls
This post is sponsored for One2One Network on behalf of ACH Food. I am partnering with them as a Become a Better Baker Blog Ambassador.
Seattle isn’t known for heat waves, and we are equally overjoyed and horrified at the prospects of rapid temperature fluctuations and overdoses of sunshine. We are always conflicted about our feelings for summer. For me in particular, summer means taking a break from my oven and from heating up my house any more than is absolutely necessary.
But sometimes, I can’t resist. These Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Quick Rolls, based on these Quick Pan Rolls from Fleischmann’s® Yeast, lifted my guilt of turning on the oven in the middle of a heat wave and got me my fill of rolls to go with the spaghetti I made for Ben and myself. The rolls only bake for 15 minutes, so I didn’t mind momentarily turning on the oven to get fluffy, delicious bread!
Since Ben is back on night shift rotation at the hospital, I like making extra portions of dinner for us so all we have to do is reheat it and go. So long as I didn’t sneak back into the kitchen for an extra roll (or three) throughout the day, I knew this recipe would leave us with more than enough for leftovers. Really, it’s enough for a herd!
Think ahead to this year’s Fourth of July cookout spread – these rolls would be a huge crowd-pleaser on a full plate of all your favorites. A scoop of this, a handful of that and of course 1 or 2 Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Quick Rolls. I wouldn’t be surprised if all 32 were gone by the end of the day. They’re that good!
Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Yeast made these rolls ultra light and fluffy, not to mention easy. Yeast can be intimidating for a novice bread baker, but Fleischmann’s® Yeast takes the guesswork and second-guessing out of the equation. Take a peek at their homemade recipes on Bread World, and see what inspired ideas you can come up with!Print
These rolls are ultra light and fluffy, not to mention easy. They are delicious served alongside a plate of spaghetti or with your favorite summer salads.
- 4–3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann’s® RapidRise® Yeast
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup minced basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120° to 130°F); stir into flour mixture.
- Stir in egg and enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and basil.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half to fit 2 greased 8- or 9-inch square pans. Place dough in pans and with a sharp knife, cut dough in each pan into 16 rolls; cover with plastic wrap.
- Place large shallow pan on counter; fill half with boiling water. Set wire rack over pan; place baking pans on rack. Let rise for 20 minutes.
- Dust tops with 1 tablespoon flour. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; let cool on wire racks.