Lightened Up Three Cheese Fettuccine Alfredo
This lightened up three cheese fettuccine alfredo is uber comforting, ultra creamy and low on the guilt of traditional Alfredo. The key is not using the heavy cream! See the tips and tricks below.
I love fettuccine alfredo, it’s my biggest weakness in the pasta world. The drippy cheese sauce and bowl full of carbs just slays me ten ways ’til Tuesday. I am a goner. But the only time I would actually allow myself to give into that pull of creamy, cheesy alfredo was when I would go out to eat. It’s too much to handle on a regular basis. My jeans would rebel and pasta-guilt would consume me.
I needed to find another way. There HAD to be a better way! Thank goodness I found one and it’s all because of Ali from Gimme Some Oven. You know Ali, right? How could you not? She’s a gem! Ali has a recipe on her blog for skinny alfredo.
When I saw her secret for skinnified sauce, I was sold.
I opted for still using butter when she went the olive oil route – but use your best judgement in your own kitchen! I found that a 1:1 mix of butter and flour made the perfect roux – or base – for the alfredo sauce.
And Ali’s substitution of chicken stock instead of heavy cream was brilliant. And if you’re going the vegetarian route – feel free to use vegetable stock instead!
I know that alfredo is traditionally all about the parmesan, but being the rebel I am (sike!) I went with three cheeses for some extra punch and extra meltiness. Fontina melts into a creamy dream, and cheddar adds a slight tang – in a good way! Of course, because it’s alfredo you HAVE to have parmesan, so don’t forget it!
The other way I kept this a little healthier than the restaurant version was by using a whole wheat protein added pasta. I always have Barilla Protein Plus and Dreamfields pasta in my house. Both are great options for carb counters and those, like me, who want to make sure if they’re going carbo-holic they don’t OD on it.
Give this a try – I ate it for two days straight and didn’t feel a pang of guilt! I know you won’t either!Print
This lightened up three cheese fettuccine alfredo is uber comforting, ultra creamy and low on the guilt of traditional Alfredo. The key is not using the heavy cream!
- 1 package (12 ounces) Whole Wheat Pasta
- 2–3 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Low-Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Milk, Non-Fat or Skim
- 1/4 cup Fontina, shredded
- 1/4 cup White Cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions and then rinse quickly in cold water to stop the cooking process, drain and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat butter until melted and starts to simmer over medium high heat. Add in garlic and coat in the butter until fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Using a whisk, add in flour until a pasta forms. Allow the roux to bubble and start to turn a light golden brown. Then very slowly – pour in the chicken stock constantly whisking the roux. Make sure the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the milk, whisking it in as well. Sprinkle in the various cheeses and stir in until melted.
- Whisk in salt and pepper to taste. Add in pasta and toss to coat. Serve immediately and serve with additional shredded parmesan on top or parsley for garnish.
Mildly adapted from Gimme Some Oven Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo