Easy Sausage and Cheese Baked Gnocchi
Serve this easy sausage and cheese baked gnocchi right out of the skillet for an comforting and hearty dinner!
Dish Count :: 1 Pot, 1 Strainer, 1 Skillet
One skillet meals is all many of us have time for – let’s be real. If it’s not kid’s soccer, it’s just long days at work. If it’s not long days at work, its the rushed appointments after work that mean you have to leave work at three to beat traffic, to get to the dog’s vet, to pick up his pills, and then go to the dry cleaner, and the bank, all before everything shuts down at 6. It’s like the Mission Impossible song is running through your head.
Oh, and you need to kiss your husband before he runs out the door for his job on night shift. Seriously – how does Beyonce do it? I know we all have 24 hours in our day, but dannnggg Gina. It’s just nearly impossible.
But this isn’t! Can I get a hell yeah!?!
Admittedly, because of all the aforementioned things, the video that I made for this recipe just hasn’t been completed yet. But I will get to it and then you can see it in action and marvel at the simplicity of this beast.
Though one thing I will mention – is that I really recommend using a 12″ skillet. I made this in a 10″ cast iron skillet and it was filled to the brim! Don’t get me wrong, I like living on the edge as much as the next suburban dwelling wife, but cleaning out my oven if things spill over? Not so much.
This makes an insane amount of food – which is great for Ben and I when we are just home long enough together for us to reheat leftovers for dinner before he leaves for the night.
Ingredients for Easy Sausage and Cheese Baked Gnocchi
- Pork Sausage
- Sweet Onion
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Chopped Basil
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Non stick spray
And then, I sneak another bowl of this because it’s OMGSODANGGOOD!
Inspired Homemade Recipes To Try
Serve this easy sausage and cheese baked gnocchi right out of the skillet for a comforting and hearty dinner!
- 1 pound (package) Gnocchi, prepared
- 1 pound Pork Sausage, cooked
- 1 small Sweet Onion, finely chopped
- 1 28–ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Water – That Gnocchi was cooked in
- 1/2 cup Chopped Basil
- 2 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella
- Non stick spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pot, with salted water, prepare gnocchi according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Drain and set aside.
- In a 10″ or 12″ oven proof skillet, heat over medium heat, spray with non-stick spray. Add in onion and cook until just translucent. Add in pork sausage, breaking up into small bits. Cook until no longer pink.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and stir together. Add in chopped basil, thyme, salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine. Pour reserved 1/2 cup of water from the gnocchi. Let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella. Bake for 10-15 minute or until the cheese has melted and started to bubble. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.