Double Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
I’m a competitive person. It’s a sickness. I can’t help it. And as it turns out – so is Ben. Lately we’ve been playing some hard core, super intense games of Words with Friends and dang is getting ugly in the Keno household. With him being sick the last couple days he’s had some time to hyper-focus on this Words with Friends games and he’s royally kicking my ass!! But he’s not doing it in a fair way – says the girl who’s losing… but he’s playing some rediculous words. They don’t even sound like real words!! I mean UNIFACES?! How is that a real word? HYPHAE? Seriously? Bepaint? Come the heck ON!! If you can’t define it, it can’t be used. Yes, this is my bitter face. All is fair in love and war? Well this is war.
And then what do I get dealt – bu FOUR E’s. His gentle and loving response was something like “Well, sometimes you just get what you get.” Thanks so much Old Man Keno… I pulled off some uber lame word like “teed” just to use a couple of them up, hedging my best on the on U that was still in play right – because I had the word that would blow him out of the water on a Triple Word – with QUAIL!! And he beat me to that spot with “Bungee”. BUNGEE?!
So if at 7:27 you heard a screaming banshee, that was just me raging about losing at Scrabble. That might been what it looked like. Clearly I need a manicure. And I love embroidered aprons. #obsessed.
This isn’t gonna end well. Watching me melt down over losing Scrabble is just something you don’t want to witness. To remedy this travesty – I’m going to go stuff my face with another double chocolate brownie ice cream sandwich before I start rageaholing all over again.
These are a cinch to make with just a thin sheet of brownies baked and cooled on a cookie sheet, sliced in half, topped with softened ice cream and topped with the other half of brownies and refrozen. You’ll love this recipe because it’s easy to customize with whatever ice cream you might have on hand. Ben’s request for our next batch is Mint Chocolate Chip, and I think I’m gonna go with Fluffernutter ice cream. Chocolate + Peanut Butter + Marshmallow Cream = MFEO. Sleepless in Seattle – anyone?!
For other chilly treats check these out!
Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream – Baked by Rachel
Toasted Marshmallow Cookies and Cream Milkshake – Picky Palate
Brown Butter Ice Cream – The Novice Chef
Chocolate Sea Salt Dulce De Leche Ice Cream Sandwiches – The Novice ChefPrint
These chilly treats come together easily, and can be customized to suit your taste! Simply bake a thin sheet of brownies, layer with your favorite ice cream flavor, and freeze.
- ½ cup Butter, melted + More for Pan
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Flour
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ gallon Chocolate Ice Cream, softened (Or choose your own flavor!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan with butter. Line with parchment paper (NOT wax paper) and leave 2 inches of parchment paper hanging over the short edges of the pan. Butter the parchment paper as well.
- In a large bowl whisk together melted ½ cup of melted butter and sugar. Whisk in eggs and salt.
- Whisk in flour and cocoa until just smooth. Spread into a thin layer all over to the edges of the pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Using the overhanging paper, gently remove the brownies from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- When completely cool, cut the brownies length wise into two long pieces. Place one half of the brownie back into the pan and spread the softened ice cream and spread until smooth and even.
- Top with other half of the brownie. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for about two hours, until set.
- Cut into 6-8 sandwiches. Wrap each sandwich with parchment paper for storage and place in an air tight container until devoured.
Adapted from Everyday Food Brownie-Ice Cream Sandwiches