#HowToYOUsDay – Make Your Own Salted Caramel Sauce Edition
Learn to make your own perfect salted caramel sauce for topping on ice cream, covering cakes or just eating with a spoon. And enter to be apart of this month’s #HowToYOUsDay for $50 to Williams Sonoma!
Things that are made for each other.
Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan movie marathons and Yoga Pants.
Huck and Peanut Butter.
And spoons dipped in caramel.
Are we seeing a trend here?
After last months raving success of #HowToYOUsDay, we’re playing with sugar, simmered into submission and boiled until it’s golden brown and well, carameled. Have you ever tried to make your own caramel before? You will never buy the jarred stuff again! It’s a total ice cream topping game changer, a sneak-into-the-fridge-at-midnight sin maker. And you can do this all yourself!
Like last month’s inaugural #HowToYOUsDay, here is the how to make your own Salted Caramel Sauce. All you have to do is follow these steps, make it your self, snap a photo and tag me in it via Instagram, Facebook or Twitter and use the hashtag #HowToYOUsDay to enter to win. If you want more details on #HowToYOUsDay find them all HERE!
This month, enter to win a $50 gift card to Williams Sonoma to outfit yourself with a new whisk, some baking mixes, or pitch in towards that new mini-food processor you’ve had your eye on but didn’t want to splurge on until the time was right.
Start – Gather 1 cup Sugar, ½ cup water, ¾ cup Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 tsp Vanilla and ⅛-¼ teaspoon of salt. Have all the ingredients pre-measured and within arms reach while making caramel.
Step 1 – In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, whisk together 1 cup of sugar and ½ cup of water.
Step 2 – Cover and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Boil for about 5-8 minutes until the mixture starts to turn a golden brown. The mix will be about 300 degrees, so please BE CAREFUL! Once it starts to turn amber, the next steps will happen quickly…
Step 3 – Have a whisk ready, and slowly stream in the heavy whipping cream. The mixture will foam very rapidly, so begin whisking immediately and continually as you pour the cream in.
Step 4 – Remove the caramel from the heat and continue to stir.
Ingredients for Salted Caramel Sauce
- Heavy Whipping Cream
Inspired Homemade Recipes To Try
Make your own perfect salted caramel sauce for topping on ice cream, covering cakes or just eating with a spoon. You’ll never buy the jarred stuff again!
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/8–1/4 tsp Salt
- In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, whisk together sugar and water – bringing to a rapid boil.
- Cover and let boil for 5-8 minutes, or until the mixture starts to turn amber/golden brown and you can smell the caramelization happening.
- Uncover the pan and working carefully – slowly stream in the whipping cream while whisking the mixture vigorously. The mixture will bubble and foam very quickly, so whisk constantly.
- Whisk until the foaming subsides. Stir in the vanilla and finally the salt. Add more or less depending on your taste.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely before consuming.
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Caramel Sauce