Roasted Ham With Honey Mustard Glaze and Apples
This Roasted Ham With Honey Mustard Glaze and Apples is perfect for a fall get-together or even as an alternative to turkey on Thanksgiving. Sliced apples and garlic are tucked into spiral-sliced ham, which is brushed with herbed honey mustard glaze as it bakes, making this the most flavorful ham you’ve ever had!
It’s been a little over 7 years since I last posted a recipe for roasted ham here on Country Cleaver. (That would be my Sticky Peach Chipotle Glazed Ham, in case you were wondering!) While that recipe used a 2 pound cured ham, making it ideal for a weeknight dinner, this is the roasted ham recipe to make when you want to feed a crowd (or have lots of leftovers).
It’s also the ham recipe to make when you want to impress a crowd. Seriously, look at this ham! The apples and sprigs of fresh herbs leave no doubt that you’re about to eat something special. As the ham roasts, the apples and herbs infuse it with flavor, and the honey mustard glaze takes it to the next level. Serve this for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or even Easter and your guests might not leave room on their plates for anything else.
What You’ll Need
The ingredient list for Roasted Ham With Honey Mustard Glaze and Apples is short and sweet. Here’s what you’ll need to grab:
- Apples – You’ll want to choose a variety that’s well-suited for baking, like Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or Braeburn.
- Spiral-sliced ham – Make sure you buy spiral-sliced and not another variety. The slices are where you tuck the apples, garlic, and herbs!
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh thyme
- Stone-ground mustard – This is a coarsely textured mustard, like Inglehoffer.
How to Make Roasted Ham With Honey Mustard Glaze and Apples
Despite its impressive looks, this roasted ham recipe is surprisingly easy to make. Just keep an eye on the time—you’ll need to start roasting the ham well before you plan to eat since it takes 2 hours.
Make the glaze. Whisk the mustard and honey in a small bowl. Strip two sprigs of fresh thyme and mince the leaves, then stir them into the glaze. Set aside.
Assemble. Preheat the oven 325ºF and place the ham in a large roasting pan. Tuck the sliced apples, garlic, and sprigs of herbs between the ham slices, then cover the ham with foil.
Roast the ham. Bake the ham for about 2 hours, or until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 145ºF. During the last 45 minutes of cooking time, remove the foil and baste the ham with the honey mustard glaze.
Serve. Transfer the ham to a serving dish and remove the cooked herb sprigs; you can replace them with fresh sprigs as a garnish. Spoon some of the drippings from the pan over the ham, and serve with additional apples, if desired.
Tips for Success
Here are some tips for making sure your roasted ham is perfect!
- Have a meat thermometer handy. Spiral-sliced ham has a reputation for being dry, but it’s easy to avoid this if you bake it juuuust until it reaches 145ºF.
- Two hours is an estimate. If your ham is closer to 8 pounds than 11, check the temperature earlier—it could be done at the 90 minute mark.
- Cover the ham tightly. This isn’t the kind of recipe where you loosely tent the pan with foil. You want it tight! This keeps the steam in, which is another way to ensure that your ham doesn’t dry out.
Here are some side dishes that will pair well with this Roasted Ham With Honey Mustard Glaze and Apples:
- Garlic Parmesan Crusted Delicata Squash
- Roasted Garlic Whipped Cauliflower
- Curried Pumpkin Dinner Rolls (also great for ham sandwiches with leftovers!)
- Ginger Orange Jellied Cranberry Sauce
- Butternut Squash and Barley Stuffing
How long does roasted ham last in the fridge?
Ham will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. Wrap it tightly and pop it in the fridge as soon as you can—don’t let it sit at room temperature for too long.
Can I freeze leftovers?
Yes, leftover ham can be frozen. Wrap it well and freeze it for 1 to 2 months; let it thaw in the fridge before you use it for best results.Print
Roasted Ham With Honey Mustard Glaze and Apples
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 10–12 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Impress your guests with this glazed roasted ham. Herbs and apple slices infuse it with flavor!
- 1–2 Baking Apple, cored, halved, and thinly sliced
- 8–10 Pound Spiral Sliced Ham
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh Rosemary, divided
- 8 sprigs fresh Thyme, divided
- ½ cup Stone Ground Mustard
- ¼ cup Honey
In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, and honey. Strip two sprigs of fresh thyme, and mince the leaves. Mix them into the honey mustard mixture. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place the thinly sliced apple between the ham slices around the ham. Tuck in sliced garlic, and 3 sprigs of rosemary and three of thyme as well. Cover the ham with foil. Bake for approximately 2 hours, or until it is browned and heated through to at least 145 degrees. Uncover the ham and baste the honey mustard glaze over the top of the ham during the last 45 minutes.
Remove the ham from the pan and place it onto a serving dish. Remove the cooked sprigs of rosemary and thyme and replace them with fresh sprigs – they will look prettier. Spoon some of the drippings from the baking pan over the ham. Serve with additional apples for decoration, if desired.
Keywords: glazed spiral ham, baked ham recipe, Christmas ham recipe