Oatmeal Cookie Apple Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Bring a little extra fall to your ice cream game with these Oatmeal Cookie Apple Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches. They are a mouthful in more ways than one! Big and chewy oatmeal cookies and apple pie no churn ice cream are a match made in fall heaven!
We made our first family road trip to eastern Washington over the weekend. Unfortunately it was for a sad circumstance of a family member’s passing, but Emmett brought so much joy to all who saw him, we hoped that it was a bright spot in a cloudy day.
Our first road trip as a family, with even the dog in tow, made our Subaru Outback look like something from the Beverly Hillbillies with every conceivable baby contraption thrown in. And we tried to economize, too! .
The one “person” who had the most room in the car… was the dog! He had the full back cargo area to himself to sprawl out and relax. Ben, me and the baby were sardined in.
Just bringing what we were right to assume were the bare essentials, like the bassinet, and not the whole Pack-and-Play was a good choice. But by the end of the weekend I was ready to be changing a baby on a full height changing table instead of the floor. And so was my back.
While it was a difficult trip, emotionally, and physically, I’m glad we were all there together. We got a lot of good family time in together (being trapped in a car for 7 hours will do that to you), and we even got to take Emmett out to the family farm and drive around to see what was up since our last visit. Being back on the Palouse is special for Ben, and for myself, but as he was the one who grew up in those wheatfields, I think it was special for him to show his boy where he grew up. Nevermind Emmett is only three weeks old, but special to be there nonetheless. As a family.
Fall is our favorite time of year to make the trip east to the Palouse. The wheat crops may be all harvested by then, but the changing season ushers in it’s own charms to the area. It’s a little cooler, the sunsets are almost life changing shades of pink and persimmon, and the nip in the air combined with the Palouse dust is comforting.
I made these oatmeal cookie apple pie ice cream sandwiches when I was still pregnant and in the throws of a heatwave in Seattle, dreaming of fall and the crisp air, and fresh crop apples that would soon grace us with their presence. And now that it is here, I am reveling in it. I hope you are too!
Ice Cream Recipes Beyond No Churn Ice Cream
Churro Ice Cream Sandwich – Chelsea’s Messy Apron
Potato Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich – Foodie Crush
Ginger Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches – View From Great IslandPrint
Bring a little extra fall to your ice cream game with these Oatmeal Cookie Apple Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches. Big and chewy oatmeal cookies and apple pie no churn ice cream are a match made in fall heaven!
For the Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick or old fashioned oatmeal
For the Apple Pie No Churn Ice Cream
APPLE Pie Compote ::
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 2 medium sized Granny Smith apples peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
No Churn Ice Cream Base ::
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
OATMEAL COOKIES ::
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking sheet.
- In your stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl at least once.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating at least 30 seconds between additions of the eggs.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk in the oats last.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, make uniform cookie balls on the sheet, separating by at least 2″ in between cookies.
- Bake large cookies for 13-15 minutes. If using a 1″ cookie school, reduce baking time to 10-12 minutes. Monitor as needed.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes on the sheet before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
FOR THE APPLE PIE NO CHURN ICE CREAM ::
Apple Pie Compote ::
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan or skillet. Once melted and hot, mix in the brown sugar to begin to form a caramel.
- Add in the apples and apple pie spice. Saute until the apples have softened, about 10-12 minutes depending on the size of the apple pieces. Test with a fork.
- Pour the apples into a bowl, and place in fridge to chill until ready to add into ice cream.
No Churn Ice Cream Base ::
- In a large bowl, mix together the condensed milk, pie spice, and vanilla extract.
- Puree half the apple compote in a small food processor, and stir the pureed compote into the condensed milk mixture. Set aside.
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold half the whipped cream into the condensed milk and apple mixture, then fold in the other half so that it all combines uniformly.
- Pour half the ice cream base into a 2 quart container – a loaf pan, or square baking dish works well here. Top with half the remaining apple compote. Pour the remaining half of the ice cream base on top of the apple compote and spread over evenly. Top the ice cream with remaining apple compote.
- Cover and freeze for 4-6 hours until set.
To Assemble ::
- Allow the ice cream to soften about 10 minutes, or until scoopable, prior to filling the sandwiches.
- Using an ice cream scoop, sandwich one scoop of apple pie ice cream between two oatmeal cookies.
- Wrap tightly in plastic cling film and re-freeze for at least 2 hours to set the sandwiches. Repeat with all remaining ice cream sandwiches.
Oatmeal cookies mildly adapted from My Baking Addiction :: https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/homemade-oatmeal-cream-pies/
No Churn Apple Pie Ice Cream from Celebrating Sweets :: https://celebratingsweets.com/no-churn-apple-pie-ice-cream/
Keywords: Oatmeal, Oatmeal Cookie, Cookie, Ice Cream, Ice Cream Sandwich, Apple, Apple Pie