Ham and Cheese Quiche with Hashbrown Crust
Quiche is synonymous with brunch, and this ham and cheese quiche recipe with hashbrown crust really takes it to a whole new level! Eat it hot or cold, it’s delicious either way!
Dish Count :: 1 Mixing Bowl, 1 Cutting Board, 1 Large Non Stick Pan, 1 10″ round tart pan
Quiche was a staple at every family brunch growing up. At the time I never understood it. We didn’t do things like normal people, I guess. Quiche always seemed too fancy? But with a culinary grad for a bonus dad, and being 8, I didn’t really understand the whole quiche thing. Talk about time wasted! But thank goodness I have caught up on the whole egg thing. You can put an egg in front of me in just about any form and I will squeal with delight. I love them. I love them poached on an english muffin, fried on top of avocado toast, scrambled and fluffy, and in a tart pan on top of crispy fried hashbrowns. This is what life is all about.
And fancy does not have to be difficult. This ham and cheese quiche recipe with hashbrown crust is exhibit A!
Last month I trucked it on down to Utah for a girls weekend, which I am dying to tell y’all about. And our friends from Idaho Potatoes made sure it was extra special for us. We celebrated the mighty spud having a hashbrown bar for breakfast, and the girls’ combinations were out of this world! We had all the fixins, with tomatoes, cheese, cilantro, fried eggs, bacon, and so much more! The combinations were as delightful as the girls’ themselves and we had a fantastic morning breathing in the mountain air of Utah, perhaps a bit more shallowly than we had before breakfast. We were filled up and ready for the day of hiking and blog talk. It couldn’t have been any better.
Keep your eyes peeled too, because I have made this recipe into a video!! You will be able to see it on my YouTube channel and Facebook page soon!
Need more potato ideas? Try some of our other favorites!
*Fine Print* My recent trip to Utah, and sponsorship of our event was in part sponsored by Idaho Potatoes. All opinions are my own.Print
Quiche is synonymous with brunch, and this ham and cheese quiche recipe with hashbrown crust really takes it to a whole new level!
For Hashbrown Crust::
- 2 Idaho Russet Potatoes, peeled and grated into bowl of cold water
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4–1/2 tsp Ground Pepper, to taste
For Ham and Cheese Quiche ::
- 8 ounces Smoked Ham, diced
- 1 cup Shredded Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- 6 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred potatoes into a large bowl filled with cold water. Let the potatoes sit for 10 minutes to remove excess starches that come out while shredded.
- Drain and rinse potatoes until the water runs clean. Drain well. Lay out several paper towels onto a clean surface. Pour drained potatoes onto the paper towels and pat dry to remove excess moisture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil until shimmering over medium-high heat. Pour the potatoes into the bottom of the non-stick pan and press potatoes into the bottom of the pan forming a skillet sized potato pancake.
- Let the hashbrowns simmer until they turn crispy and golden brown. Using two oven mitts and a large plate, very carefully invert the hashbrown onto the plate. Place skillet back onto the burner and slide uncooked side of the hashbrown into the skillet to cook on the other side until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from the burner and slide hashbrown into a pie pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, garlic, cream, milk, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in diced ham and cheese until evenly distributed.
- Pour into the prepared hashbrown crust. Place in oven and bake until the center is set – about 45 minutes for a standard pie plate. Check after 35 minutes to ensure it does not over cook.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Keywords: egg, quiche, breakfast, brunch, ham, cheese, potato, hashbrowns