Butternut Squash Spinach and Tortellini Soup
Need dinner in a hurry? You’re covered with this butternut squash spinach and tortellini soup that is done in less than 30 minuets!!
Dish Count :: 1 Cutting Board, 1 Vegetable Peeler, 1 Stockpot
It’s getting real. My best friend is having a baby in a month, and I got to meet her doula last night making this whole even smack me in the face with oh-holy-crap-it’s-happening. You’d think it would be mama-to-be that is feeling this, but dang she’s calm as a cucumber and I sat there like a dear in the headlights about what my role that day will be. I’ll be there, and hopefully not pass out. And I’ll have a camera. But not having been through a birth, my own or anyone else’s I’m pretty much green to this whole thing.
Ingredients for Butternut Squash Spinach and Tortellini Soup
- Olive Oil
- Butternut Squash
- Cheese Tortellini
- Chicken Broth
I mean, I spent 5 years working a large animal hospital, so it’s not like I’m unfamiliar or uncomfortable with birth, odd sounds, cranky, 1,500 pound animals, or blood. But I know it’s different with a human. And her husband is determined to get me to watch a pre-birth video to make sure I know what I’m in for. Bless.
It’s becoming a running joke that he brings it up every time I see him. “When are you going to watch the video?”. As a woman, I think I’m pretty familiar with the event of birth, and yes, I know it’s not like TV.
But his chest puffing protective side has most definitely come out and he wants me to be the best friend, and presence I can be while my (as the doula calls it) HPL – hetero life partner – and best friend goes through a transformative and difficult experience. But the mansplaining of a women’s experience just gets me every time. So next week, it’s my mission – to take a six pack of beer over, sit with him, humor him, and give the father to be the confidence and assurance that I’m equally as prepared for what is going down in less than a month. Because right now, I’m more worried about him than I am about her.
She’s a champion, always has been, and on that day when the newest addition to the family, and he can be assured that no one will need to pick me off the floor. They’ll just need to bring me a truck load of tissue, because I’ll be a puddle of joy.
Inspired Homemade Recipes To TryPrint
Need dinner in a hurry? You’re covered with this butternut squash spinach and tortellini soup that is done in less than 30 minutes!!
- 2 Ribs Celery
- 1 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 cups Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed (1 Neck of 1 Large Butternut Squash)
- 3 cups Fresh Spinach (3 large handfuls)
- 1 package Fresh Store bought Cheese Tortellini
- 6 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- In a stock pot, add in butter and olive oil and melt together. Add onions and celery to the stock pot and allow them to soften and become translucent. Stir occasionally.
- While that is going on, peel and dice the neck of one butternut squash. Set aside.
- Add thyme and garlic to the stock pot and stir in.
- Add in the cubed butternut squash and allow the simmer in the bottom of the pan so that squash softened and the edges start to brown slightly. About 5 minutes.
- Pour in low sodium chicken broth. Bring soup to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add in cheese tortellini. Add in spinach and allow to wilt. Simmer for two minutes. Then serve.