Apple Pie Stuffed Monkey Bread
A fall twist on neo-classic monkey bread! Get stuffed with Apple Pie Stuffed Monkey Bread rolled in cinnamon, sugar and homemade Apple Pie Spice.Yesterday marked the start of my 28th year and I think it’s off to a pretty good start. Dinner with friends, carbs covered in marinara and wine is always a good way to do it. And I’m partial to sweet carbs covered in apple-y goo, too. Ben and I don’t make big hay over birthdays and that’s kind of the way I prefer it. In the way of keeping it low key we didn’t really plan gifts and really I didn’t have my eye on much of anything at all. So after last week’s dinner party with friends he spent the evening scoping out and man-drooling over the host’s entertainment set up and honed in on the Apple TV. As a self proclaimed Hulu addict, it was getting a bit tiring of watching my cell phone streaming Hulu while I was cooking all weekend and catching up on the shows I don’t get to watch since I am part of the pre-mature early bird special club. Being in bed as soon as primetime TV starts is really putting a burr under the saddle of my TV time.
And as it turns out Ben was just excited about getting the new Apple TV as I was and texted me as soon as it arrived to see if I wanted to open it myself or if he would like me to set it up and have it ready for my viewing pleasure. I can see right through that thinly veiled attempt at cloy… he’s really really bad at it. He was way to excited for his own good. So my birthday gift became a gift for me for him for me and us. Which is more than fine. And as soon as I woke up this morning what did I put on – nope, not my normal morning TV with the lame traffic an the traffic girl who we are convinced is wearing the same dress every. single. day. but Nashville.
Let me tell you it’s hard to pull yourslef away from the Scarlett-Gunnar-Avery triangle!! And don’t eveennn get me started on Juliette and Richie Rich!! What is THAT!?!
Even harder to pull yourself away from – is this Apple Pie Stuffed Monkey Bread. Just don’t be a hero – dive in an enjoy. It’s the holidays and I for one am firmly committed to working on the sweater body of mine.Print
A fall twist on neo-classic monkey bread! Get stuffed with Apple Pie Stuffed Monkey Bread rolled in cinnamon, sugar and homemade Apple Pie Spice.
Apple Pie Monkey Bread:
- ½ cup Milk, heated to 104 degrees
- 1 package Quick Rise Yeast
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Butter, melted
- 1 tsp Apple Pie Spice
- 1 can Apple Pie Filling, roughly dice apple chunks
- 3 cups Bread Flour
Monkey Bread Coating:
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Apple Pie Spice
- Caramel for Drizzle
For Monkey Bread Dough:
- Set up stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- In cup with heated milk, stir in sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the top of the warm milk and sugar – gently stir to moisten yeast. Set aside for about five minutes to activate yeast.
- Pour warm milk/yeast mixture into stand mixer with dough attachment. Stir in salt, melted butter, apple pie spice together and start to mixer to incorporate together. Begin to incorporate the flour slowly until it has been fully added and just incorporated together. Turn mixer to medium-low speed and allow to knead for about 4 minutes or until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Spray a ceramic bowl with non-stick spray and pour dough into the bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a dark, and warm place. Place a towel over the bowl to make sure light does not get in as well. Let rise for about an hour. The dough should about double in size.
Assemble and Bake the Monkey Bread:
- After dough has risen, spray a non-stick bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, mix together Monkey Bread Coating, 1 teaspoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice and Sugar. Set aside momentarily.
- Take about egg-size sections of dough out of the bowl, and spread out into a small disk with your fingers. Add in 1/2 teaspoon of apple pie filling and then pinch together the edges of the dough. Roll each ball into the monkey bread coating and place into bundt pan. Repeat with remaining dough.
- When all dough has been rolled in coating and put into bundt pan, place plastic wrap over the bundt pan and set back into warm, dark place. Allow to rise another hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bundt pan on a baking sheet. Place into oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the dough on the top of the bundt pan just becomes brown on top. Remove from oven and cool in pan for about 30 minutes.
- To remove from pan, invert a large serving plate over the bundt pan. Grasping both the plate and the pan, invert the two and allow the monkey bread to fall onto the serving plate. Serve while warm.
Cool in pan for 30 minutes before serving.
Keywords: monkey bread recipe, apple bread recipe, homemade monkey bread