20 Minute Sweet Potato Chili
Packed with filling fiber and luscious chili flavors this 20 minute sweet potato chili will keep you warm and full all day long.
Dish Count :: 1 Sauce Pan or Slow Cooker
The phrase “TGIF” has never been more true than it is today. The first full week back after a long vacation is the worst. Re-entry into the real world, with it’s alarm clocks, and emails, and buses, and soggy sandwich lunches is just no 80 degrees and mai tais on the beach.
Its been got me so backwards, that I even forgot that Tuesday was Huck’s 7th birthday! I’m officially the worst dog mom ever. Who forgets their furbabies birthday?! I am calling a mulligan on this week. Just give me a blankie nest so I can crawl right in until next Monday rolls around.
This 20 Minute Sweet Potato Chili gave me a week of reprieve from my typical soggy turkey sandwiches. I came home and was browsing blogs and came upon this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili from Saucy Pear and I realized I had everything in my kitchen! At that point, I was desperate and this chili look incredible.
Ben and I hadn’t gone had done a grocery run post-vacation yet, but I had everything in the cupboards, so I went to work. It was a life saver! Instead of making it in the slow cooker, my tummy was grumbly so I went the saucepan route to speed things up and it was a breeze. Instead of black beans, I used pinto beans, and added cumin to the mix.
Ingredients for 20 Minute Sweet Potato Chili
- Pinto Beans
- Sweet Potato (Yam)
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Chili Powder
- Cumin (more or less to your taste)
- Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- Salt and Pepper
- Sour Cream
And because I was feeling like a rebel, I even topped it with some Easy Hawaiian Kalua Pig. The heavens parted and angels sang, friends. If you’re looking for a nice, healthy, gluten free change to your meal plan – add this to it immediately!
Inspired Homemade Recipes To TryPrint
Packed with filling fiber and luscious chili flavors, this 20 minute sweet potato chili will keep you warm and full all day long.
- 1 can Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large Sweet Potato (Yam) , peeled and diced
- 1 can (15 oz) Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin (more or less to your taste)
- 1/2 cup Low Sodium Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Sour Cream for topping, optional
- Cilantro, optional
- Drain and rinse pinto beans until they run clear. Set aside in a sauce pan.
- Peel and dice a large sweet potato (Yam), into very small bite sizes pieces. Set aside in sauce pan.
- Open tomatoes and pour into the sauce pan. Add in vegetable or chicken broth.
- Top with chili powder and cumin. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Cover and bring to a simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender, stirring often. Alternately, this can be made in a slow cooker and cooked until the sweet potatoes are always fork tender, about 4-6 hours on low. Times may vary.
- Serve immediately with sour cream on top. Or shredded pork if desired.
Barely adapted from Saucy Pear’s Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili