Make a batch of these World’s Best Lactation Cookies with Chocolate and Coconut and freeze them for a new mom in your life.
- 3 cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 5 Tbsp Brewers Yeast
- 3 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 10 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, Cubed (2 sticks)
- 10 Tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar (feel free to reduce by 1/4 cup)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups Semi-Sweet or Dark Chocolate Chips/Chunks
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts *optional*
Preheat the oven the 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, flaxseed, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt. Next, add in the oats and combine.
In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter and coconut oil on medium speed until creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Add in the sugar and beat on medium to high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed. Add in the egg and egg yolk, beating until combined, about 2 to 3 minutes. Make sure you scrape the bowl to make sure that it is all evenly mixed.
Add in the vanilla extract and beat until combined again. Gradually add in the dry ingredients, beating on low speed until just combined and mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips, coconut and nuts, until combined.
Scoop the dough into 1-inch rounds, or use a large cookie scoop to make them uniform, and place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes, or until the bottoms are just golden. Let cool completely before storing in a sealed container.
- You can adjust the ratio of butter/coconut oil. I have done it as a 50/50 blend and they were great.
- You can remove 1/4 cup of sugar if desired without sacrificing much flavor.
- You could swap some brown sugar with white sugar for a chewier cookie. Some, but not all.
- Swap up to 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour for 1/2 cup of all purpose, if desired.
- These cookies might not spread much, but remain quite tall. That is okay!
Keywords: Lactation cookies, cookies, chocolate, nursing, oatmeal, baking, recipe