Elegant and easy come together in these vanilla bean and almond poached pears! This is the perfect summertime dessert with chilled pears and vanilla ice cream.
- 4 firm, but ripe, Pears – I used Bartlett and Anjou
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste, or Extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/4 cup Caramel Sauce
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water, vanilla and almond extracts. Bring this mixture to a simmer and stir occasionally until the sugar dissolves completely.
- While the mixture is coming up to temperature, peel the pears. Remove any soft spots or bruises that might be present.
- Gently set each pear into the saucepan, and allow them to simmer for five minutes. Gently turn them over, being careful not to dent them. Cover the pan, and remove it from the heat.
- Allow the pears to continue to poach in the warm liquid for 25 minutes and slowly begin to cool. Every 10 minutes or so, open the lid and turn the pears, or spoon the syrup over the top to keep them infused with syrup.
- Once they are cooled slightly, you can serve them right away with ice cream, or place them into a large sealed container with the remaining syrup to cool completely and serve later.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Keywords: Pear, Dessert