Pumpkin Spice Pinwheel Cookies are everything great about fall’s favorite flavor! Soft and chewy with a swirl of pumpkin spice is just the ticket to fall!
Pumpkin Cookie Dough Layer
- 1/2 cup Butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Spice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Canned Pumpkin – not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
Pumpkin Spice Brown Sugar Swirl Filling
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Spice
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
For Cookie Dough
- In a large bowl, or a bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar, teaspoon of pumpkin spice, and salt until light and fluffy on medium speed. After scrapping down the sides of the bowl, next add in the pumpkin puree, egg and vanilla mixing again.
- Slowly add in the flour and mix together until a dough forms.
- Wrap the finished dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- While the dough is chilling, mix together the pumpkin swirl filling by beating together the remaining half of the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, egg yolk, and pumpkin spice. Set aside.
- Roll out the dough between two layers of liberally floured parchment paper into a 15 inch by 10 inch rectangle. You can use a silicone mat as the bottom layer, and parchment for the top if desired.
- Spread the filling over the dough, leaving about 1/2 inch at the end of the dough so that you can seal the log.
- Roll the dough up from the far end toward you, sealing with a swipe of water on the bare edge of the dough. Wrap the roll of dough in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours, or overnight before slicing.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cut the frozen dough roll into 1/4″ thick slices, placing each cut cookie about 2″ apart on the baking sheet. Bake until the edges are light brown, about 10-12 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To finish, you can drizzle with a pumpkin spice frosting of 1 cup powdered sugar, 2-3 Tablespoons of milk, a pinch of salt, and dash of pumpkin spice. Stir together and drizzle over the cooled cookies.
See post for tips and notes regarding Pumpkin Puree
Keywords: Pumpkin Spice, Cookies, Christmas Cookies, Pinwheel Cookies