Fresh peaches are in season, so make the most of summer with this perfect peach pie recipe! Full of flavor and simple ingredients!
- 1 prepared Double crust pie dough – I prefer a premade pie crust like Pillsbury or other. Yes, I’m lazy. But also because it’s foolproof and saves time.
- 3 pounds Fresh Freestone Peaches
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8th tsp Nutmeg – Optional, but utterly delicious
- 2 tsp Tapioca Pearls
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, chilled and cut into 8 cubes
- Sparkling Sugar, optional
- 1 Large Egg – For Egg Wash + 1–2 Tbsp Water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Ensure that the wire rack is on the lowest setting in the lowest rack.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, cornstarch, tapioca, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside on the counter. In a large bowl, with a wire mesh strainer set over the top, cut up fresh peaches and place them into the strainer, and allow the excess moisture to drain away.
- On a light floured surface, roll out your pie crust of choice and line one pie crust into the bottom of a glass pie plate for the bottom crust. A ceramic plate will not work well in this instance. Cut out the lattice top crust and then cover with plastic wrap until you are ready to top on the pie filling.
- Once the peaches have drained, discard any juices that have accumulated from the large bowl. Toss the sugar and cornstarch mixture from earlier with the peaches. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie pan. Drizzle the vanilla, almond extract, and lemon juice over the top of the peaches. Place cubed butter into the peaches, pressing down gently to secure the butter into the mix.
- Top the peach pie filling with the lattice pie crust you cut out. Fold and crimp the edges to seal the pie, as desired.
- Then, whisk together the large egg with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to create an egg wash. Brush the top of the crust and the edges with the egg wash. Sprinkle generously with sparkling sugar. If you do not have sparkling sugar, you can use standard sugar, or omit all together.
- Bake the pie, on a baking sheet to catch any spills, for about 55-60 minutes, covering the edges halfway through to ensure the edges of the crust don’t burn. Rotate halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- When you remove the pie from the oven, allow it to cool completely on a wire rack for about 3 hours. Then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This is best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, obviously!
Keywords: Pie, Peach, Fruit, Dessert