Lemon Chamomile Shortbread cookies are mix zesty lemon and calming chamomile in a buttery, flakey cookie. And they are incredibly simple to make for any occasion.
- 1/2 cup plain Oats
- 1 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 2/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Chamomile Tea leaves
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 14 Tbsp Butter, cut into pieces 1/4″ wide
- Place oats in food processor and pulse until they become a fine powder. About 5 pulses.
- In stand mixer, place all dry ingredients including chamomile leaves and lemon zest. Turn mixer on low to combine.
- Add in butter and mix on low until dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. This may take a couple of minutes to combine completely.
- Remove dough from the bowl, gather together and roll into a 12 inch log. Wrap tightly in parchment paper and place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap dough, and cut into ½ inch rounds. Place onto a parchment or silicone-mat line baking sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until the cookies are just golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes until they can be placed on a wire rack to finish cooling.
If you prefer to make them in wedges –
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a closed springform pan on top. Spread dough into springform pan, evenly. Unlock springform pan but leave it in place on baking sheet. This will ensure the dough doesn’t spread to far.
- Using a round cookie cutter, remove a circle of the center of the shortbread dough. Set disk of dough outside the spring form pan and bake as directed.
- Bake shortbread for 5 minutes at 450 degrees. Reduce temperature to 250 degrees and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and remove springform pan from baking sheet. Using a sharp knife score the shortbread into 16 wedges. Place baking sheet with shortbread back into the oven.
- Turn OFF the oven, leaving shortbread in there to cool. Make sure the oven is propped slightly open to allow to cool. About 1 hour.
- Place shortbread on cooling rack after one hour and allow to finish cooling to room temperature.
- Break into wedges along the scored lines you created, and devour with tea.