Baked to perfection, this easy rosemary cheddar cornbread is a wonderful compliment to any cold weather meal! Make it in cast iron or a baking pan!
- 1 cup Nonfat milk, or milk of your choice at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, (I accidentally used 6 and it worked beautifully)
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour (I used All Purpose)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary Leaves, torn from stem and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2 Eggs, Room Temperature
- 3/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- Stir together the milk and vinegar in a medium bowl or a large measuring cup. Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes, or until the milk has curdled slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 425, with a baking rack on the middle level. Lightly coat an 8×8 inch baking pan with non stick spray, and line it with a parchment paper sling that overhangs opposite edges – this will act as handles to lift the cornbread out of the pan after it has cooled. Again, lightly spray the paper with non stick spray.
- Melt the butter in the microwave, and then allow it to rest to come back to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. Stir in the rosemary.
- To the bowl with the rested milk and vinegar, stir in the honey, eggs, and melted butter. Whisk this together until smooth. If the eggs and milk are cold, they may cause the butter to resolidify, so do your best to make sure everything is near room temperature. (It’s not a deal breaker if the butter does resolidify a bit, but you want to avoid large chunks appearing.)
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl with the dry ingredients in it. Pour the liquid mixture into the middle and gently fold to incorporate the mixtures into a batter. Stir gently until just combined. Fold in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, until the cornbread is light and golden brown, with a deeper golden brown at the edges. A toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean.
- Allow the cornbread to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then lift the bread out of the pan using the parchment paper handles. Allow it to finish cooling on a wire rack, slice and serve with more butter and honey on top.
Rosemary Cheddar Cornbread, from Well Plated by Erin Clarke
Keywords: Bread, Corn Bread, Southern, Recipe, Cheddar