The ultimate summer treat, a perfectly gorgeous red strawberry crumble pie.
- 1 frozen Pie Crust, thawed
- 8 cups Fresh Strawberries, hulled and sliced in halves and quarters, if needed.
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Instant Tapioca
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch or ClearJel
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 Tablespoon Water
- 2/3 cup Flour
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2/3 cup Oats
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cardamom, optional
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 6–8 Tbsp Butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place rack on second-lowest rack.
- Thaw and roll out pie crust on a lightly floured surface, into a 14-15″ round for a deep-dish pie. (If using a standard pie pan, the standard crust should be fine.) Place the pie crust into the pan, and crimp the edges with your thumb and forefinger. Place plastic wrap over the top of the pie crust and refrigerate the crust until ready to fill pie.
- To make the strawberry filling, toss together the cut strawberries, sugar, brown sugar, tapioca, cornstarch, lemon juice, ginger, and nutmeg. Toss this to combine and most of the tapioca and cornstarch is sticking to the berries. Place the strawberries in the fridge until ready to fill pie filling.
- To make the crumble topping, you can use your hands and a pastry cutter, or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. In a large bowl with pastry cutter, or stand mixer, blend together the ingredients for the crumble until large pea sized crumbles form. You can also use your hands to squeeze larger pieces together to create larger crumbles. Set aside the crumble to chill until ready to use.
- To fill the pie crust, remove the pie crust pan from the fridge. Pour the strawberry mixture into the prepared pan, spreading the strawberries out evenly. Scrape the bowl to get all of the juice into the pan to, as it is filled with cornstarch and tapioca. Top the pie evenly with crumble topping. Brush the edges of the crust with the egg and water mixture to create a glossy golden crust.
- Place the pie onto a baking sheet, and place into the oven, baking for 15 minutes. The pan will capture any overspill from the pie during baking. After 15 minutes, reduce the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees, and bake the pie for another 30-35 minutes, or until the pie is rapidly bubbling, and the crust is deep golden brown.
- Remove the pie and place it on a wire rack to cool completely. To get the best slices, once completely cool (at least 4 hours later), place plastic wrap or foil over the pie and refrigerate at least 2 additional hours to firm up. Serve chilled for best slices.
Mildly adapted from Joy The Baker’s Strawberry Pie.
Keywords: Pie, Strawberry, Fruit, Dessert