Cold weather calls for warm food, and this curried turkey pot pie recipe is ultra comforting! Substitute chicken for turkey if the mood strikes!
- 2 Prepared Pie Crusts, or use favorite from-scratch recipe
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 Celery Ribs, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 2 1/4 – 2 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 1 Russet Potato, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 tsp minced Fresh Thyme
- 1 1/2 –2 Tbsp Curry Powder, more to taste if desired.
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped, cooked Turkey meat
- 3/4 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 450 degree. Place oven rack on lowest position.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, melt butter and add in onions, carrots, celery, salt, and pepper. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring until the flour has completely coated the vegetables and begins to turn golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly stir in the chicken broth and the half and half to create the filling. Bring the mixture to a simmer with the heat remaining over medium-high until it just begins to thicken slightly.
- Add in the potatoes to the mixture, along with the curry, garlic, and thyme. Reduce the heat to medium-low when the mixture begins to simmer again, and allow the potatoes to begin to soften and become tender, about 8-10 minutes. Turn off the heat, and stir in frozen peas and chopped turkey meat.
- Prepare the bottom pie crust in the glass pie plate with the excess crust hanging over the side. Pour the turkey pot pie filling into the crust and level out the filling to the sides of the plate. Lay the second pie crust over the top of filling. Trim away excessive pie crust edges, leaving about 1″ of crust at the edge. Pinch and roll the edge of the crust up and over the top to seal, crimping the edge to seal it completely. Cut vent holes into the top of the pie crust.
- Brush the top of the pie crust with lightly beaten egg to create a wash. Place the curried turkey pot pie onto a rimmed baking sheet and place into the oven. Bake until the top is light golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Then, reduce the oven to 375, rotate the pan in the oven, and continue to bake another 13-15 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Foil the edge of the crusts if they begin to brown too deeply.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pot pie to rest for 30-45 minutes prior to slicing and serving.
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
Keywords: Turkey, Chicken, Pie, Comfort Food