This Cranberry Dutch Apple Pie is the perfect marriage of sweet-tart flavors, all topped with an irresistible brown sugar oat crumble.
- 1 (9-inch) Pie Crust
- 3 1/2 pounds Apples, thinly sliced (Jonagold, or other baking apple)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 egg lightly beaten for egg wash
- 2 cups Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Orange juice
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1 cup Oats
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- Place the prepared crust in pie dish and poke with a fork several times. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
For pie filling:
- Place sliced apples, sugar, salt, cinnamon in a large bowl and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Pour into a large dutch oven or large saucepan and heat over medium heat stirring frequently to soften the apples. Simmer apples gently for about 15 minutes.
- Pour out onto a baking sheet, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, pour into a colander over a bowl and allow to finish draining. Reserve 1/4 cup of the apple juice run-off and mix with lemon juice.
- In small sauce pan combine cranberries, sugar, orange juice, salt, and cinnamon.
- Over medium heat, simmer cranberries mixing gently until they burst. Simmer until the mixture begins to thicken and turn into a jam like consistency.
- If berries are too juicy and don’t set, add in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Bring to a boil again and then cool.
For Crumble Topping:
- In large bowl combine all ingredients and toss with a fork until crumble starts to form. Use hands if necessary to combine and large clumps will form.
- Chill until just before you are ready to bake the pie.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove chilled pie crust from the fridge and pour in cranberry jam into the bottom of the dish.
- Top with cooled apples. Pour 1/4 cup apple/lemon juice mixture over the top of the apples.
- Sprinkle crumb coating over the top of the apples, evenly.
- Place pie onto a baking sheet to catch any over flow that might occur while baking. Cover pie lightly with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, lower temperature to 350 and bake additional 30-35 minutes until apples are fully tender and crust and crumble are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack for at least 3 hours so the juice and apples all set.
- Slice, serve and devour.
Lightly adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Deep Dish Apple Pie.
Keywords: dutch apple pie, homemade apple pie, apple crumble pie