Sweet Chili Thai Peanut Hot Dog
A dog walks into a bar… no, no – this joke just won’t do. But this freakin’ dog sure will! Ben has been playing grill master all week while I top these dogs with everything in sight. And he’s rocking at it. It’s taken five years, but he’s come along way from his old days of grilling me a hockey-puck-esque burgers when we first started dating, taking the char-factor down a notch (or ten) and he has championed the burger and dog grilling. Proud wife! These days we’re pining for a vacation since Ben has just finished his first year of nursing school – and as we sit here in the “Seattle Summer”, with a torrential downpour going on as I type, I’m lusting after another dog to give me a food-cation, since dropping everything and heading to Thailand isn’t really in the cards. So just pass one of these Sweet Chili Thai Peanut Hot Dogs over, and a big drink with a little umbrella and we’re kopasetic.
This dog is is a cacophony of different flavors – and its divine. I love thai food with its mix of savory, spicy, fresh, light, zesty, and fruity flavor. And if there is a peanut satay anywhere in the vicinity, odds are I’m slurping it with a straw. It might seem kinda weird top a hot dog with peanut sauce, but let me tell you right this very minute it’s something you can’t miss.
Adding sweet chili sauce to the stop, along with the mango, cucumber, basil and shallots with the peanut sauce just made me sing. With all the dogs we ate over the weekend, this was actually Ben’s favorite! My husband, who views any change in his daily lunch routine of a turkey sandwich, with an apple, yogurt and fiber bar as the next apocalypse thought this dog was magic, surprising the heck out of me. He usually turns his nose up at half the stuff I come up with – but his rave reviews of this dog proved this one was a winner. I know it will be a winner in your house, too.
Uh oh, you can still see hot dog in that bun!! Get me more mango, cucumber and peanut sauce to cover that up! It’s not a loaded dog if you can still SEE the dog underneath!
Catch up on the rest of this week’s Hot Dog Days of Summer with the rest of our featured hot dogs.Print
This hot dog has all the flavors of Thailand with peanut sauce, fresh mango and sweet chili sauce. You will love this Sweet Chili Thai Peanut Hot Dog!
- 4 Beef Hot Dog Franks
- 4 Hot Dog Buns
- ½ cup Peanut Satay Sauce (or follow recipe below)
- ¼ cup Cilantro, minced
- ¼ cup Basil, chiffonade
- 1 Mango, peeled and cubed
- ½ Cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 Shallot, finely sliced
- ¼ cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/2 c. Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 4 Tbsp. White Wine
- 1 tsp. Rice Vinegar
- 1″ Ginger Root, finely minced
- 1 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together all peanut sauce ingredients and set aside. If using Peanut sauce from a jar, omit the listed ingredients.
- Preheat grill, and cook dogs until heated through.
- While dogs are cooking, mince and chop cucumber, cilantro, basil, shallots and mango. Set aside.
- Toast hot dog buns until golden brown. Spread peanut sauce onto toasted hot dog bun. Top hot dog bun with cooked hot dog, and top hot dog with diced cucumber, mango, shallots, cilantro and basil.
- Drizzle sweet chili sauce over the top of the hot dog and devour immediately.
Megan Keno – Country Cleaver