Eat your favorite summer dessert right out of the piping hot cast iron with this blueberry coconut cardamom crumble. The light and flavorful blueberries burst with lemon and coconut mixed in, with a cozy cardamom tinged crumble on top is positively crunchy!
- 4 cups Blueberries, fresh preferable but frozen works great
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch (plus 1 Tbsp if using frozen berries)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2/3 cup Flour
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 2/3 cup Oats
- 1/4–1/2 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 6–8 Tbsp Butter, cubed
- Ice Cream, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In your cast iron skillet, add the blueberries. Sprinkle the berries with coconut, sugar and cornstarch. Toss to coat the blueberries completely.
- Next, sprinkle the blueberries with lemon zest and lemon juice. Toss to combine again. A sugar sauce will start to form at this stage.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, oats, cardamom and salt.
- Add 6 tablespoons of butter to the flour and oat mixture, and blend it with a pastry blender or your hands.
- Blend the oat mixture until large crumbles form, about 2-3 minutes. If the mixture looks dry, add the remaining butter and blend together.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the mixed blueberries and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. If you choose to bake these in individual dishes, reduce your baking time starting with 25 minutes, checking after 20 minutes to ensure the crumble isn’t burning.
- Serve with your favorite ice cream!
Cast Iron Gourmet – Megan Keno 2017
Keywords: blueberry crisp, berry crisp, berry crumble